Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM AS400 Refresh

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am a newbie to AS/400 and I am using I series Navigator to operate AS400. I have to do a refresh activity could you please help on this. Please provide any docs and Notes that could help me.

Thanks & regards,

Amarnath.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath,

Do you mean the refresh of SAP system on IBM i?

If yes, you can have a look the system copy guide for IBM i.

It described how to do this with SWPM.

Best regards,

Daniel

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Yes it is refresh of SAP system from production to test system. Could you please share link for the document you have advised.

I need to know what kind of measures and all. I am very new to IBM I please advice. More over I expect the production data is of 1 TB.

Regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try to use the following link.

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&_SCENARIO=0110003...

Find the Netweaver version you are using, ->installation->System copy, then you can find the system copy guide you need.

Best regards,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath;

So you can make a "refresh" your PRD system to your QAS system; you must perform a task that is called System Copy using SWPM; for that, I'm sending you two links according to your version of SAP NetWeaver that you have installed.

System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 / 7.0 EHPS:

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001419452012E/Copy_NW70X_bsd_syst_SWPM10.htm

System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher:

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000877172012E/Copy_NW71X_bsd_syst_SWPM10.htm

I hope that these guides can help you.

Best Regards

Henry Orellana

SAP NetWeaver Administrator

IBM i Administrator

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel/Henry,

Thanks a lot for the links provided. I will follow the procedures and guide me If I got struck on my way.

Regards,

Amarnath

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I got some understanding regarding system refresh.

Could you please help me in these,

1) After the pre-steps in target system, I will be deleting the R3<SID>DATA libraries from the target system.

2) Before restoring the production data, I have seen a process saying " Journal receiver should be backed up" and it should be recreated while building in the target system.

Could you please explain me about "locating Journal receiver and creating it again in the target system" as well as "Re-creation of system catalogues".

Please help me with this.

Regards,

Amarnath.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath

As part of the System Copy; SWPM tool restore the production library in the target library; e.g. R3<PRD>DATA becomes R3<QAS>DATA; this restoration will not include the journal QSQJRN; therefore, neither the journal receivers will be included; after the restoration there is a process that will automatically recreate the catalogs (they are logical files "LF") and the library R3<QAS>DATA will be journaling, and create a new journal QSQJRN and new journal receivers.

I hope this has helped you and any questions just let me know.

Best Regards.

Henry Orellana.

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thanks a lot,

Here we are following system refresh concept. We are not using SWPM for this.

Our AS400 team is restoring R3<PRD>DATA into QAS system.

After that I need to create

1) Journal receiver and 

2) System catalogues.

How to do these 2 steps. Do I need to take any pre-steps before restore process?

Regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath;

I personally recommend making the system copy using SWPM.

Furthermore, in answer to your question; you can make two points in two ways:

The first option is to use native commands AS400, for this, your AS400 team should perform the following steps:

1) Validate privileges on the library R3<QAS>DATA and its objects for user <QAS>ADM and <QAS>GROUP and/or <QAS>OWNER

2) Create the journal QSQJRN in the library R3<QAS>DATA.

3) Create the journal receiver in the library R3<QAS>JRN.

4) Journaling Library R3<QAS>DATA.

5) Finally, use the following APIs to recreate the catalogs.

CALL QSYS2 / QSQXRLF PARM (DLT R3<PRD>DATA)

CALL QSYS2 / QSQXRLF PARM (CRT R3<QAS>DATA)

The second option is to use the AS4FIXFILE command from the SAP kernel as follows:

1) Validate the user <QAS>ADM has privileges on the library R3<QAS>DATA.

2) With this user; run the following command:

AS4FIXFILE DBLIB (R3SIDDATA) CHGOWN(*YES) SYSTBL(*YES) ENDJRN(*YES) STRJRN(*YES)

Regards.

Henry.

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

The information you have provided is very helpful and Thanks a lot for quick turn around.

So could you please tell me where can I found the existing journal and journal receiver in the target system.

Should I create the new one same as before journal name (naming convention). More over we have 5 different SID'S in the same box.

Regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath;

Because the restoration on the target not restore the QSQJRN journal and not restore the journal receivers, you need to create a new one.

The journal QSQJRN must be in the library R3<QAS>DATA and journal receivers should be in the library R3<QAS>JRN; Keep in mind that for every SID have libraries identified as R3<SID>DATA and R3<SID>JRN.

Regards.

Henry.

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Could you please tell me how can I delete R3SIDDATA library in AS/400 system. Could you also please let me know should I delete any other things in target system.

Regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath;

So you can perform delete the library R3<SID>DATA, you should run the following command:

SBMJOB CMD (DLTLIB LIB (R3<SID>DATA)) JOB (DLTLIB)

Additionally, I recommend delete journal receivers that are in the library R3<SID>JRN.

Just for my curiosity, why do you want to not use the SWPM to make a System Copy?

Regards.

Henry

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thanks a lot, I have started the process and I cannot switch to SWPM right now. I have completed some

1) General pre-steps at SAP level.

2) Cleared (Not deleted) R3SIDDATA

3) Restoration of production data to target system.

Now could you please help me with the rest of post steps in AS400 like creation of Journal receiver, System catalogues also advice me if I have missed any.

Please help with these

Regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath;

The first option is to use native commands AS400, for this, your AS400 team should perform the following steps:

1) Validate privileges on the library R3<QAS>DATA and its objects for user <QAS>ADM and <QAS>GROUP and/or <QAS>OWNER

2) Delete the journal receiver in the library R3<QAS>JRN.

3) Create the journal receiver in the library R3<QAS>JRN.

4) Create the journal QSQJRN in the library R3<QAS>DATA.

5) Journaling Library R3<QAS>DATA.

6) Finally, use the following APIs to recreate the catalogs.

CALL QSYS2/QSQXRLF PARM('DLT' 'R3<PRD>DATA')

CALL QSYS2/QSQXRLF PARM('CRT' 'R3<QAS>DATA')

The second option is to use the AS4FIXFILE command from the SAP kernel as follows:

1) Validate privileges on the library R3<QAS>DATA and its objects for user <QAS>ADM and <QAS>GROUP and/or <QAS>OWNER.

2) Delete the journal receiver in the library R3<QAS>JRN. (Use DLTJRNRCV command)

3) Create the journal receiver in the library R3<QAS>JRN. (Use CRTJRNRCV command)

4) Create the journal QSQJRN in the library R3<QAS>DATA. (Use CRTJRN command)

5) With the <QAS>ADM user; run the following command:

AS4FIXFILE DBLIB(R3<QAS>DATA) CHGOWN(*YES) SYSTBL(*YES) ENDJRN(*YES) STRJRN(*YES)

I prefer the second option. Any question please let me know ,

Regards.

Henry

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

The information you have provided was very useful. I have followed the 2nd one as you stated.

Now I need to disable the background jobs and enable SAP* at OS level. Could you please help me the commands to change the following.

Thanks,

Amarnath

Amarnath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Could you also please let me know how can I change the parameters in OS level.

Regards,

Amarnath