cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SaveAS PDF not working with PB component in EAServer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a problem of saving dw as pdf in EAServer. The pdf file is generated with 0k. The printer driver was successfully installed with Ghostscript 8.71 32bit. I am using PB v12.5 5006, both EAServer 5.5 and 6.3.. It is successful if running standalone PB application, not in EAServer. It confuses me. I checked the version build of PB system dll same.

Any thought?

thx!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentlemen,

The problem was resolved. It is related to registry, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices\ was missing an entry "Sybase DataWindow PS" as Name and "winspool,FILE:" as Data.

It works perfectly now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick;

I'm glad that you finally found the issue. 

I almost asked if your Sybase PS DataWindow printer & driver were installed properly ... but, you said "Standalone app is able to save to pdf file, not PB component in EAServer.". So I thought ... OK, that part must be there - so it must be something else.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick;

If your using a 64 bit version of MS-Windows, here is the procedure I use to install & configure GS for both EAS & IIs NVUO use ....

1) Download and install GS 8.71 64 bit version.

2) Install GS 8.71 and make sure that you set the GS_DLL environment variable ...

ie: GS_DLL=C:\Program Files\GS\gs8.71\bin

3) Install the "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer from the GS 8.71 64 bit .INF file located in the GS install's LIB sub-folder

4) Optional: Add the GS BIN folder to your system path

5) Reboot your PC.

Now, PDF support should be working in PB 10 and higher on your 64 bit MS-Windows machines.

Note: v8.71 of GS has some key fonts that are not included in later releases of GS and these fonts are also no longer included with newer MS-Windows versions either. So what ever you do ...never delete GS 8.71 from your machine.

You can now upgrade GS as follows:

a) Download and install the latest GS version 9.x or higher 64 bit version

Do not uninstall GS 8.71

b) Install GS 9.x and make sure that you set the GS_DLL environment variable ...

ie: GS_DLL=C:\Program Files\GS\gs9.01\bin  (for example)

c) Delete the old "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer definition

d) Install a new "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer from the GS 9.x 64 bit .INF file located in the GS install's LIB sub-folder.

e) Optional: replace the GS 8.71 BIN folder in your system path with the GS 9.x BIN location.

f) Reboot your PC.

FWIW: This procedure works for me and all my clients every time! Tested with PB v10.5 through to PB v12.6.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Unfortunately, it is not working. Still same. Standalone app is able to save to pdf file, not PB component in EAServer.

Any more thought/suggestion?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you tell us ...

1) What version of MS-Windows you are using?

2) Is EAS running as a service?

3) Have you been able to produce PDF's from EAS before?

4) Are your DW's set to export to PDF using the "Distill" option?

5) What location are you trying to save the PDF?

6) Does the folder where you are saving the PDF have the correct permissions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try assigning a network login to EAServer in the Services widget under Control Panel.Often the PDF save won't work for the default local system account. It will be on the Log On tab.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. MS 2012 R2

2. Yes, running as service

3. No

4. Yes

5. C:\temp\

6. Full permission, Read\Write

Former Member
0 Kudos

the PDF was created, but with 0K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to try my suggestion. Starting with Windows Vista, security restrictions on services were put in place that prevent Ghostscript from working. This is not a PowerBuilder specific issue. Ghostscript requires a user session and Windows Services no longer have a user session unless you specifically assign one to the service.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick;

I have a few of my Canadian government clients running EAS with PDF generation OK. However, they are running v5.5 though on W2008R2.

I suspect that it might be W2012 that may be the issue with its higher level of UAC.

Can you try starting EAS as a foreground application - not as a service - and see if that works. That might at least narrow down the problem to running as a service.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

in development environment it works perfectly, not in production environment. What thing I am missing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are the diffences between the development & production environments?

1) O/S version?

2) EAS version?

3) Running as a Service vs Application?

4) GS version?

5) Environment variables and/or System Path setup?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The working environment

1. Windows 7 64bit

3. Yes, service

4. 8.71

5. GS_DLL, no setup for System Path

Former Member
0 Kudos

I strongly suspect the tighter security access mechanismims in W2012 vs W7. Since EAS is EOL and nether Sybase nor SAP have enhanced it for years, I suspect that W2012 compliance is off the product radar.

Other than trying to run EAS as an application vs a service, I haven't any more suggestions for you I'm afraid.

Have you tried Roland's suggestion about using a different login account?