cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial BLU conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Let me be frank I am not into much technical so please forgive me for not knowing something obvious.

We are planning for DB2 10.5 BLU upgrade.

I am not if the this scenario is possible to implement or not.

> All table to be converted to column store but only few table / cube are enable for BLU.. (as we have limited memory).

Till the time what I have heard that full column store and no BLU is possible, Full column + BLU is possible, partial column store + BLU possible (all converted will be BLU enabled).. where as I am not sure if you convert all the table / cube to column store and have BLU enable only on few (like adding cube to BIA).

E.g.

I have 20 cubes before conversion where as I have reporting only on the 5.

I want all the 20 cube to be converted to column store but enable BLU acceleration / in memory only for 5 of them which are reverent for my reporting.

If yes how.. till the time I have dbconv6 convert and enables the BLU together.

Awaiting some interesting replies.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Frank-Martin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Not sure if I understand your question.

First of all it is possible to upgrade to DB2 10.5 without converting any table from row to column oriented. If you want to use BLU ( i.e. convert some tables to column oriented ) should have enough CPU and memory resources on your database server ( see note 1819734 ). Otherwise it will not give you an performance advantage and may even cause bad performance.

As you can see from note 1819734 and the related notes using BLU requires some configuration changes in your database before you can convert the first table to column oriented. Only conversion of some classes of tables is currently allowed as listed in the note.

Regards

Frank