cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employee Portal : SAPUI5 HR renewal vs Fiori Lauchpad vs WDA Launchpad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I'm writing to hear feedback from you regarding the possibilities we have for the main page and apps of the employee portal. We were using SAP Portal and SAP ECC with EHP5 and therefore we were using WDA Lauchpad for employee self-service main page.

That's the current aspect of the main page (we've set Quicklinks for all applications to allow users to enter each app with one click only):

Now we have recently upgraded to EHP7 (with HR Renewal 2.0 FP 2), SAP NW 7.40 (which includes SAP GW) and SAP Portal 7.40. We can also install SAP Fiori add-on since it hasn't any extra license fee.

We came across with a difficult decision, since we've 3 options for "new" portal (please let me know if we've any extra option)

1. Use the same WDA launchpad with SAP Portal 7.40 (but there's no innovation in here with the upgrade)

2. Use SAPUI5 landing page available with HR Renewal

3. Use Fiori lanchpad (installing SAP Fiori add-on):

We've noticed pros and cons for each possibility, I will try to resume it on the following table.

OptionProsCons
WDA launchpad on SAP Portal- Reduced effort of upgrade

- Since we will keep SAP Portal we have to keep the double stack maintenance (ABAP + JAVA)

- There's no innovation with the upgrade

SAPUI5 HR renewal landing page with SAP NW 7.4 (using integrated SAP GW)

- Discontinue double stack maintenance (ABAP + JAVA) - we don't use any WDJ app

- New look & feel more user friendly with HTML5 responsive design

- On the landing page we can include employee + manager + assistant functionalities

- UI5 suitable for mobile devices

- There's no log off option available (is there!?)

- Chips don't get very well adjusted when you have several assigned to you (instead of scrolling down I have to click the small arrow to move to the right)

- Browser "Go to back" option does not work if I set to open application in the same window; open in a new window is not very fancy

- To access specific apps user may have to do more mouse clicks

SAP Fiori launchpad

- Discontinue double stack maintenance (ABAP + JAVA)

- UI5 suitable for mobile devices

- Each app is a square (if we have 50 apps it will be very confusing for the user

Can you please give us your experience on these options (or any other you consider it would be suitable for us)?

Do you know which path SAP is following to release new features for Employee Self-service and Manager Self-service?

Thanks.

Cheers,

AS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

we did some workshops on this with various customers and did receive similar feedback you are right, There is no development on WDA launchpad best forward is HR renewal landing page or Fiori Launchpad (device agnostic) in landing pages, there is explicit log off, but if you close the browser session is released and we found its intuitive but ask was to make it simple and device agnostic for that we have fiori launchpad, but note its still new, there is no personlisaiton ie language cannot be changed once you are single singed on, if there is no SSO then its fine also, to consider is you can group similar apps into one, if you say 50, if there are 10, Time related, you can make a group called Time etc one extra click though. But is required if you have too many links in this scenario, i would suggest to work with end users and see which they prefer cause at the end, we let the decision to be driven by them and which was more intuitive etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddarth,

Just a quick question: is it possible when using Fiori to group  several apps in one "square" or each "square" will always represent a specific app?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

AS

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

yes grouping is very much possible. thats what we recommended other clients, you can group them depending upon your own logic and can do drag and drop ie end user. please refer above link

Answers (0)