cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in SUM Credentials: Unable to connect to SAPControl service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Note that this is my first time dealing with SAP, so this might all (hopefully) be due to a beginner mistake.

I am currently trying to install SAP SUM onto a MS 2008 Server running the Java Netweaver, in order to install SAP GRC.

However, during the SUM setup, I get an error during the credentials step:

The update tool was unable to connect to the SAPControl web service on any of the detected instance numbers. Check that the SAP Start Services are running for all instances in the cluster. See SAP Note 1401712 for further information. The update tool is unable to detect the instances information for instance number: 0 on host: null via the SAPCONTROL web service API. Either the SAP Start Service associated with this instance is not running or a required functionality is not supported by the current version of the Kernel. See SAP Note 1401712 for further information. Sapcontrol client could not perform action get instance properties on instance 0 Return code condition success evaluated to false for process sapcontrol for action get instance properties.

Note that all instances are up and running (according to SAP Management Console) and I have tried to resolve the issue via SAP Note 1873918 [0], as it was mentioned to have solved the problem in other discussions.

Can anyone help out here?

Best,

Julian

[0]  https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1kZSZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F6465...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

Have you set the parameter service/protectedwebmethods=DEFAULT in all the profiles of SAP system?

In all the profiles means , it will include the start , instance and default profile for all the instance name

(SCS , ASCS , DVEBMGS00 , JC , J<xx> ) then you have to maintain the parameter in all the instance,start profile.

If the above parameter does not wok , then repeat the same steps with the below parameter

service/protectedwebmethods=NONE

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Message was edited by the moderator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Setting the parameter to DEFAULT did not work, but setting it to NONE did!

I was now able to progress further into the setup. If I have any other questions, I will ask again here.

Thanks again!

Julian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

Thank you for the confirmation.  Even I got the same issue when I was using SUM version: 1.0.13.0 and resolved by setting the permissions to the file sapuxuserchk.

FYI -

SAP Note 1563660 - sapcontrol, user authorization issues (SUM)  talks in details about this issue and I suggest setting the proper permissions to the file sapuxuserchk instead of modifying service/protectedwebmethods parameter value. This will help us over the time if we have to install any more new sap instances on the same host.

Regards,

Shiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

service\protectedwebmethods=NONE

worked for us (in DEFAULT.PFL). In our case, we had to stop CS, kill -2 on the sapstartsrv procs (in USS on z/OS) and restart the CS. That allows the services to re-read the default.pfl change. Once done, SUM continued w/o error...the java stack was able to start.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello colleagues,

the correct syntax of this parameter is service/* and NOT service\* , please correct this.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

Could you first check if system is running fine.

1. Please provide the output of the following command as <sid>adm user.

sapcontrol -nr <instance number> -function GetSystemInstanceList

Note : <instance number> --> replace it with correct instance number .

2. Check if sapstartsrv is running for all the intances.

BR,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your answer.

1. I am getting the following output:

hostname, instanceNr, httpPort, httpsPort, startPriority, features, dispstatus

SAP-IM-2014, 1, 50113, 0, 1, GATEWAY|MESSAGESERVER|ENQUE, GREEN

SAP-IM-2014, 0, 50013, 50014, 3, J2EE|ICMAN|IGS, GREEN

2. I don't know how to explicitly check for this, however, I can give you the following info:

• There are three processes "sapstartsrv.exe" running, two of them under the user name "SapServiceTES" (TES is the SID).
  • The services SAPTES_00 and SAPTES_01 are running, I do not see a service called sapstartsrv
  • Running the command "sapcotrol -nr 0 -function RestartService" returns "OK", no errors (for both 0 and 1).

Thanks,

Julian

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Julian,

Output looks okay. And regarding sapstartsrv its okay. I used a general term . On windows it runs as
service (as you already checked above) and for unix based you will find the process sapstartsrv.

So further, is this a HA system ? What are the profiles in profile directory. is name
SAPLOCALHOST matches the output of above command.

Thanks.

BR,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guarav,

I don't think this is a HA system, I have just been given this system for development purposes (implementing a connector).

The names of the profile files in the profile directory are TES_J00_SAP-IM-2014 and TES_SCS01_SAP_IM_2014 (and DEFAULT).

EDIT: SAP-IM-2014 is the name of the machine, btw.

Sorry, I don't understand your last question, could you rephrase that?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Julian

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

Could you please check if parameter SAPLOCALHOST is set in the profiles.
If not, set this parameter, Restart the service and then start the SUM from scratch.

Thanks.

BR,
Gaurav

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian ,

It seems the issue is with the GetInstanceProperties

Try the following command

sapcontrol -nr <Instance Number> -function GetInstanceProperties

Meanwhile

Try the solution in the following Note and give it a go

1600846 - SUM calls sapcontrol without user credentials

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

There is no parameter SAPLOCALHOST set in the profiles, only the parameter SAPGLOBALHOST, which is set to the machine name I mentioned before.

I set the parameter in both files, restarted both instances and the sapcontrol service, then restared sum, but i get the same error.

Best,

Julian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Thank you for your reply.

The GetInstanceProperties output for both instances is really long, so I appended it at the end of this response.

Will try your proposed solution shortly.

Best,

Julian

E:\SUM>sapcontrol -user Tesadm <Password> -nr 1 -function GetInstanceProperties

1. 26.05.2015 15:36:39

GetInstanceProperties

OK

property, propertytype, value

Process List, NodeWebmethod, GetProcessList

Access Points, NodeWebmethod, GetAccessPointList

Syslog, NodeWebmethod, ABAPReadSyslog

J2EE Cluster Messages, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetClusterMsgList

Enque Locks, NodeWebmethod, EnqGetLockTable

Enque Statistic, NodeWebmethod, EnqGetStatistic

Protected Webmethods, Attribute, Bootstrap,ConfigureLogFileList,CreateSnapshot,D

eleteSnapshots,EnqRemoveLocks,InstanceStart,InstanceStop,J2EEControlCluster,J2EE

ControlComponents,J2EEControlProcess,J2EEDisableDbgSession,J2EEEnableDbgSession,

OSExecute,RestartInstance,RestartSystem,SendSignal,SetProcessParameter,Shutdown,

Start,StartSystem,Stop,StopService,StopSystem,MtChangeStatus,MtCustomizeWrite,Mt

DbsetToWpsetByTid,MtDestroyMarkNTry,MtReset,PerfCustomizeWrite,ReadDirectory,Rea

dFile,ReadProfileParameters,Register,SnglmgsCustomizeWrite,SystemObjectSetValue,

ToolSet,ToolSetRuntimeStatus,TriggerDataCollection,Unregister,UtilAlChangeStatus

CentralServices, Attribute, YES

StartPriority, Attribute, 1

SAPSYSTEM, Attribute, 01

SAPSYSTEMNAME, Attribute, TES

SAPLOCALHOST, Attribute, SAP-IM-2014

INSTANCE_NAME, Attribute, SCS01

Webmethods, Attribute, Start,InstanceStart,Bootstrap,Stop,InstanceStop,Shutdown,

ParameterValue,GetProcessList,GetStartProfile,GetTraceFile,GetAlertTree,GetAlert

s,RestartService,StopService,GetEnvironment,ListDeveloperTraces,ReadDeveloperTra

ce,RestartInstance,SendSignal,GetVersionInfo,GetQueueStatistic,GetInstanceProper

ties,OSExecute,ReadLogFile,AnalyseLogFiles,ListLogFiles,GetAccessPointList,GetSy

stemInstanceList,StartSystem,StopSystem,RestartSystem,AccessCheck,GetProcessPara

meter,SetProcessParameter,ShmDetach,GetNetworkId,GetSecNetworkId,RequestLogonFil

e,CreateSnapshot,ReadSnapshot,ListSnapshots,DeleteSnapshots,ABAPReadSyslog,ABAPR

eadRawSyslog,ABAPGetWPTable,ABAPAcknowledgeAlerts,J2EEGetProcessList,J2EEGetProc

essList2,J2EEControlProcess,J2EEGetThreadList,J2EEGetThreadList2,J2EEGetThreadCa

llStack,J2EEGetThreadTaskStack,J2EEGetSessionList,J2EEGetWebSessionList,J2EEGetW

ebSessionList2,J2EEGetCacheStatistic,J2EEGetCacheStatistic2,J2EEGetApplicationAl

iasList,J2EEGetVMGCHistory,J2EEGetVMGCHistory2,J2EEGetVMHeapInfo,J2EEGetEJBSessi

onList,J2EEGetRemoteObjectList,J2EEGetClusterMsgList,J2EEGetSharedTableInfo,J2EE

GetComponentList,J2EEControlComponents,ICMGetThreadList,ICMGetConnectionList,ICM

GetCacheEntries,ICMGetProxyConnectionList,WebDispGetServerList,EnqGetLockTable,E

nqRemoveLocks,EnqGetStatistic

E:\SUM>sapcontrol -user Tesadm <Password> -nr 0 -function GetInstanceProperties

1. 26.05.2015 15:37:25

GetInstanceProperties

OK

property, propertytype, value

Process List, NodeWebmethod, GetProcessList

Access Points, NodeWebmethod, GetAccessPointList

Current Status, NodeWebmethod, GetAlertTree

Open Alerts, NodeWebmethod, GetAlertTree

Syslog, NodeWebmethod, ABAPReadSyslog

Queue Statistic, NodeWebmethod, GetQueueStatistic

J2EE Process Table, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetProcessList2,J2EEGetProcessList

J2EE Components, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetComponentList

J2EE Caches, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetCacheStatistic2,J2EEGetCacheStatistic

J2EE Threads, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetThreadList2,J2EEGetThreadList

J2EE Sessions, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetWebSessionList2,J2EEGetWebSessionList,J2EEG

etSessionList

J2EE EJB Sessions, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetEJBSessionList

J2EE Remote Objects, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetRemoteObjectList

J2EE Aliases, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetApplicationAliasList

J2EE Shared Table Info, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetSharedTableInfo

J2EE GC History, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetVMGCHistory2,J2EEGetVMGCHistory

J2EE Heap Memory, NodeWebmethod, J2EEGetVMHeapInfo

ICM, NodeURL, HTTP://SAP-IM-2014:50000/sap/admin/public/index.html

ICM Threads, NodeWebmethod, ICMGetThreadList

ICM Connections, NodeWebmethod, ICMGetConnectionList

ICM Cache, NodeWebmethod, ICMGetCacheEntries

ICM Proxy Connections, NodeWebmethod, ICMGetProxyConnectionList

J2EE DB Connection, Attribute, Database=SAPDB,DBHost=SAP-IM-2014,DBName=TES

Protected Webmethods, Attribute, Bootstrap,ConfigureLogFileList,CreateSnapshot,D

eleteSnapshots,EnqRemoveLocks,InstanceStart,InstanceStop,J2EEControlCluster,J2EE

ControlComponents,J2EEControlProcess,J2EEDisableDbgSession,J2EEEnableDbgSession,

OSExecute,RestartInstance,RestartSystem,SendSignal,SetProcessParameter,Shutdown,

Start,StartSystem,Stop,StopService,StopSystem,MtChangeStatus,MtCustomizeWrite,Mt

DbsetToWpsetByTid,MtDestroyMarkNTry,MtReset,PerfCustomizeWrite,ReadDirectory,Rea

dFile,ReadProfileParameters,Register,SnglmgsCustomizeWrite,SystemObjectSetValue,

ToolSet,ToolSetRuntimeStatus,TriggerDataCollection,Unregister,UtilAlChangeStatus

StartPriority, Attribute, 3

SAPSYSTEM, Attribute, 00

SAPSYSTEMNAME, Attribute, TES

SAPLOCALHOST, Attribute, SAP-IM-2014

INSTANCE_NAME, Attribute, J00

IGS, NodeURL, http://SAP-IM-2014:40080

Webmethods, Attribute, Start,InstanceStart,Bootstrap,Stop,InstanceStop,Shutdown,

ParameterValue,GetProcessList,GetStartProfile,GetTraceFile,GetAlertTree,GetAlert

s,RestartService,StopService,GetEnvironment,ListDeveloperTraces,ReadDeveloperTra

ce,RestartInstance,SendSignal,GetVersionInfo,GetQueueStatistic,GetInstanceProper

ties,OSExecute,ReadLogFile,AnalyseLogFiles,ListLogFiles,GetAccessPointList,GetSy

stemInstanceList,StartSystem,StopSystem,RestartSystem,AccessCheck,GetProcessPara

meter,SetProcessParameter,ShmDetach,GetNetworkId,GetSecNetworkId,RequestLogonFil

e,CreateSnapshot,ReadSnapshot,ListSnapshots,DeleteSnapshots,ABAPReadSyslog,ABAPR

eadRawSyslog,ABAPGetWPTable,ABAPAcknowledgeAlerts,J2EEGetProcessList,J2EEGetProc

essList2,J2EEControlProcess,J2EEGetThreadList,J2EEGetThreadList2,J2EEGetThreadCa

llStack,J2EEGetThreadTaskStack,J2EEGetSessionList,J2EEGetWebSessionList,J2EEGetW

ebSessionList2,J2EEGetCacheStatistic,J2EEGetCacheStatistic2,J2EEGetApplicationAl

iasList,J2EEGetVMGCHistory,J2EEGetVMGCHistory2,J2EEGetVMHeapInfo,J2EEGetEJBSessi

onList,J2EEGetRemoteObjectList,J2EEGetClusterMsgList,J2EEGetSharedTableInfo,J2EE

GetComponentList,J2EEControlComponents,ICMGetThreadList,ICMGetConnectionList,ICM

GetCacheEntries,ICMGetProxyConnectionList,WebDispGetServerList,EnqGetLockTable,EnqRemoveLocks,EnqGetStatistic

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian ,

The  following command should work  [ when executed as <sid>adm ]

sapcontrol  -nr 1 -function GetInstanceProperties [ without you supplying the password ]

Thanks ,

Manu

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian ,

Any updates on this  .

IS you issue fixed ?

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried your solution, but nothing changed, I am getting the same error.

Any other ideas?

Could maybe something be messed up with the ports? How would I find that out (where are they configured?)?

Best,

Julian

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian ,

Please run the following command and share the results

sapcontrol -nr <instance number> -function GetInstanceProperties -debug

[ Do not supply user-id , password and should be run as <sid>adm user  ]

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

As you can see below, Ashutosh's suggestion already solved the problem.

Thank you for your help though!

Best,

Julian

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian ,

Please remove the parameter after you have completed your SUM upgrade process

Thanks ,

Manu