cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ASE: Problem using ext_api in sp_config_dump

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day

I have ASE 16 SP1 installed.  I use Netbackup to backup my database.

I am able to successfully execute command from isql:

dump database SKQ to "sybackup::-SERV BCKSRV -CLIENT SAP1 -POL SAP1-SAP -SCHED Weekly" with compression  = 101

However, when I try to create dump configuration vi sp_config_dump:

sp_config_dump @config_name='Backup_Conf1',

@ext_api  = 'sybackup::'-SERV BCKSRV -CLIENT SAP1 -POL SAP1-SAP -SCHED Weekly' ,

@compression = '101' ,

@verify = 'header'

go

I receive error:

Server 'SAP1', Procedure 'sp_config_dump', Line 405:

The dump configuration 'sybackup::-SERV BCKSRV -CLIENT SAP1 -POL SAP1-SAP -SCHED Weekly' supplied for Backup_Conf1 is invalid.

(1 row affected)

(return status = 1)

Please assist

Thanks

Wilhelm

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wilhelm,

There was a bug, CR 729795, fixed in 15.0 SP01 with similar symptoms.

"When create a dump config using sp_config_dump with long identifier(large than 30) as the param ext_api, the commmand will succeed, but server will raise several error msgs such as 'supplied for SELECT is invalid', after that it will raise this error every time when creating the dump config until delete the dump config which cause the first such error even if the creation is successful."

Bug fixes often tend to prevent future occurrences of a problem, but not necessarily clean up the mess left behind from previous times the problem was hit.  So I'm thinking there might be an existing dump config that was created on a prior version that hit this bug and so is responsible for causing the error to keep being generated.  So if one exists, perhaps deleting it before trying to create the new dump config will work.

-bret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bret

Spot on!!  I tested, and as long as the 'sybackup::bla bla bla' remains under 30 characters the command works.

As soon as I enter more than 30 characters, it issues the error message.

The problem is the command did not succeed, it actually does not create the dump configuration at all.  So its not simply an error message I can ignore.

I do not have previous dump configurations configured.

This was a clean install directly to ASE 16.0 SP1, and according to SAP note 2077416 this CR is included in this release.

So this might be a new bug?

Regards

Wilhelm

Answers (0)