Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to locate the warning message in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

i am not very deep in ABAP programming and however facing now a problem.

I got a warning message in SAP sales order ( after variant configuration is done), the warning message seems to be developed by some former colleague in userexits or z-programms ( at least not sap standard). I can find out the message class and the number of the message. But i only can use /h so that the debugging screen comes, but it seems like thousands lines of codings to read before the message is called.

Does any one know how to debug effeciently to find the location where this message is called ? because the coding/ logic  before or after the message is important for me .

Thanks!

Regards

Recke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

custodio_deoliveira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or you can try this great blog post by :

Cheers,

Custodio

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do a 'where used list' for the message. That will show you were the message was sent, but not necessarily where it actually happened.

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi thanks Rob,

may be i should add this info in my post,

the where used list does not help. I can not find any thing via that.

if i remember correct, there is a way to set a break point with some criteria, but i can not recall that. If any one can help

regards

Recke

0 Kudos

In the debugger, you can take the menu path:

Breakpoints -> Breakpoint at -> Breakpoint at Statement

press the Message tab

Enter you message id and number.

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi, Rob,

thanks for the reply, i have found the position, where the message is called. But it is a method of a class, do u know how to locate which programm is calling from a higher level ( if i do not need to step by step debugging )

Thanks!

Recke

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Set a breakpoint at the place where the message is generated and then examine the call stack (in the debugger). Second tab, if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos

Recke W. wrote:

Hi, Rob,

thanks for the reply, i have found the position, where the message is called. But it is a method of a class, do u know how to locate which programm is calling from a higher level ( if i do not need to step by step debugging )

Thanks!

Recke

Hi Recke, in relation with this question, in the new debugger you can open a new ABAP Stack Tool like you can see in following image:

In the new added tool you can see which program have been called from higher levels.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recke,

As Rob stated Breakpoints -> Breakpoint at -> Breakpoint at Statement.

A quick add on. On the new debugger you can also specify the type of message, in your case'W' as in warning.

The same message can be issued as a warning or error based on certain conditions. If this is true in your case, adding the message type would "help" figure out the place where the message is raised a little faster.

Thanks,

Vikram.M

custodio_deoliveira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or you can try this great blog post by :

Cheers,

Custodio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Recke,

I think you can try to use watchpoint for sy-msgno and pay attention with the value of sy-msgid as well. Anyway, the warning or error message that you might encounter is normall a combination of message id and number.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.