Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient free space in the HANA database

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

While epatching one of my EHP7 System on HANA (Single DB) we are getting below error.Is there a way to add container or extend datafile in HANA DB?How to get rid of this?

ERROR: Insufficient free space in the database as follows. Please refer to file D:\SAP_SFIN2\SUM\abap\log\DBFPLUSD.RES for more details and additional information about the results of the free space check.

You need additional free space of 8200 MB on your database

Expand the data area by at least the mentioned size.

You must fulfill these requirements first before you continue with the procedure!

Free space recommendation

In some scenarios there might be more space required, which was not part of the calculation. Therefore we recommend to have up to 20% more free space than overall required:

Additional 14040 MB

Thanks,

Mofizur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mathanponnucham
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Moflzur,

Based on the info provided by you I understand that you can avoid this issue by simply adding additional data files if you have enough FS space.

Rgds,

Mat.

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mat,

Please find below information too..Extending my /hana/data file system additional 14 GB will fix this ? As you have suggested to add additional datafiles can you please provide me the syntax/command/tool to add them?Same like Oracle?

SELECT 'FREESPACEHDB(MB)', ROUND((SUM(total_size)-SUM(used_size))/(1024*1024)) FROM M_DISKS WHERE USAGE_TYPE = 'DATA'

'FREESPACEHDB(MB)', ROUND((SUM(TOTAL_SIZE)-SUM(USED_SIZE))/(1024*1024))
"FREESPACEHDB(MB)", 61229

<hostname>:/hana/log/<SID>/mnt00001/hdb00004> df -h | grep data
/dev/sde1       296G  236G   45G  85% /hana/data
<hostname>:/hana/log/<SID>/mnt00001/hdb00004>

Thanks,
Mofizur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mofizur,

There is no such concept as "adding data files" for HDB. Each service has it's own data volume which grows as required within the constraints of having enough space available on the f/s.

I wouldn't be so conservative by just extending your f/s by 14GB. Extend by an additional 50GB (disk is cheap anyway) and then repeat your step in SUM.

During your patching, ensure you have enough space in the /hana/log f/s.

That's all there is to it.

KR,

Amerjit

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amerjit,

I was able to get passed that phase after adding ample space in /hana/data FS.

"There is no such concept as "adding data files" for HDB. Each service has it's own data volume which grows as required within the constraints of having enough space available on the f/s."

Your above input was very helpful and cleared my confusion.BTW Do we have any such Note/Help link which talks about this?This is for my own documenation purpose.

Thanks,

Mofizur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mofizur,

Glad to help and glad it helped you continue with your patching.

I'll just slightly extend my remark about data volumes and the related files.

There is a limitation to the filesize on a EXT3 filesystem which is 2TB. Once you hit the filesize limit with EXT3 then a new file will be automatically created by HANA. If you are on a IBM/LENOVO box then you will be using GPFS which does not have this restriction.

Persistent Data Storage in the SAP HANA Database - SAP HANA Administration Guide - SAP Library

I hope the above link helps you. Also just download the HANA Admin guide which really is a good piece of documentation.

Finally SAP HANA Academy have also produced great content which will really help you and you can work through their material at you own pace.

SAP HANA Academy - YouTube

Enjoy.

KR,

Amerjit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member280874
Participant
0 Kudos

Good day Rahaman, im facing the same issue you had. please see below.

ERROR: Insufficient free space in the database in SUM-Phase: PREP_SPACECHECKS/SPACECHK_OPT. The SUM/abap/log/DBFPLUSD.RES file says:

"You need additional free space of 2200 MB on your database Expand the data area by at least the mentioned size. RECOMMENDED ADDITIONAL FREE SPACE: 9552 MB"

I notice the correct answer says add additional data file. How do i do this, as there a command i execute on database level.

thanks in advace

regards

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.