Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it wise to select SAP as a career option after 7 years of experience in service industry? If yes, which module?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Presently I am in a great fix in my career, unfortunately our service industry (CDM) has been in a setback position since last 2 and a half years, and it is very uncertain when the situations will revive. Hence, I am thinking to move into some sector that can enhance my career and bring back to me in a respectable position again.

I have been searching for such career options, and I got clicked with SAP functional modules, but I am not very sure which module I should learn. I need a guidance and best suggestion regarding this. Does the firms recruit the special cases like this after a long span of 7 years work experience in some totally non related field. How are the salary packages?

My work experience is in the capacity of consultant for CDM projects, this involves the report preparation, site visits, interaction with the auditors for project registration.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

ameya_beri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear H S,

You have domain knowledge and that is considered as relevant by companies when they hire SAP consultants.

I have seen cases in my company where in people with 7-8 years of domain experience have been hired as SAP consultants and are doing very well as a consultant.

Domain knowledge helps you in understand the customer requirements in a better way and map them to available SAP functionality.

You can explore SAP certifications available and check if one suits you. SAP certifications do help when it comes to job opportunities as some customers only want certified consultants.

For service industry like CDM (Construction Design & Maintenance) below options are suitable according to me

-> SAP QM (Quality Management -> Includes - Audits, Site inspections, Sampling etc)

-> SAP PS (Includes Project Management in SAP)

-> CRM  Customer Relationship Management

-> CS SAP Customer Service

-> SD Sales and distribution module of SAP

-> SAP PLM (Product Design and life cycle)

-> SAP PM (Plant Maintenance)

-> SAP MM (Materials Management)

Salary package depends on your expertise and the way you project your profile . Also depends on the company and your risk taking ability, there are many opportunities in developing countries right now and companies pay you more if you are willing to work there.

Hope this helps you

Best Regards,

Ameya B.

0 Kudos

Dear Ameya,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. It is really encouraging to know that, I can start learning SAP, having domain knowledge.

However, my domain knowledge is in carbon credits consultancy (i.e. CDM Clean Development Mechanism). Here, we do the baseline study of the project, surveys, stakeholder meetings, Calculation methodology of the credits, Monitoring of the project, Reporting and getting the project registered through an auditing body.

This is a brief about my domain knowledge, it will be very helpful if you can suggest me a best module suitable for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hello,

It seems more related to project management module (PS) of SAP.

It is a niche module and is in demand in industries which use a engineer to order concept.

Auditing and quality falls under SAP QM.

Try searching in SAP Help for getting an overview of SAP PS.

Sorry for my misunderstanding of CDM earlier

Best Regards,

Ameya B.