cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit crystal reports in Visual Studio 2010

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a VB desktop application that I converted to be a vb.net 2010 and updated the crystal reports from a link on this website where the url is: http:/scn.sap.com/people/coy.younce/blog/2010/11/12/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio-2010-production-release-now-available.

I now want to be able to open and edit the crystal reports where the name of the report has the extension of *.rpt. I have tried to open the reports in visual studio 2008 and visual studio 2010 and I am not getting the expected results. I am hoping that I will be able to open the reports in designer mode where I can edit reports.

When I right click on the report to use the custom tool, I get the error message, "Cannot find custom tool, 'CrystalDecisions.VSDesigner.CodeGen.ReportCodeGenerator' on this system. Thus can you tell me where I can obtain a copy of the item I am missing? I want to be able to edit the crystal report,

If not, would you tell me and/or point me t6o a link that will tell me what I need to do so I can edit the crystal report *.rpt files?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diane

You have two options:

1) You have to add the report to your project. Then all you need to do is double click on it and it will open in the designer integrated into the VS IDE. Note that this is not as rich an editor as the stand-alone versions of CR.

2) Download an eval of the stand-alone version of CR 2013 and modify the report there. You can use these reports in your app with no problems.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the following additional questions:

1. Where would I obtain an eval of the stand-alone  CR 2013 from?

2. The current version of the SAP crystal reports that I am using, works with Visual Studio 2010. If I create another CR 2013 report and use existing CR 2010 that are in Visual Studio 2010, will I have some kind of conflict issues to resolve? If so, what would I need to do to resolve the issues?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good questions and I should have provided a link to the eval in the 1st place - I normally do - apologies

The link to the SAP Crystal Reports 2013 eval is here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

As for the 2nd question. You can install CR 2013 and CRVS side by side with no issues at all. CR 2013 file versions are 14.1.x and CRVS is 13.x. And reports created in CR 2013 will run just fine in CRVS.

Have a great weekend,

- Ludek

Answers (0)