cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

One of our business is looking for Version Management. We cannot give end users access to CMC due to security reasons. Is their any possibility to provide access only to version management , I mean provide individual link where user can view their only folder and use the features of version management.

Regards,

S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shahi,

You CAN give access to your users to the CMC and then have the only application they see in the CMC be the Version Management application.

Now, the question to ask might be what are they planning on doing with VMS? This implies you are talking of using it in Production. If so, then make sure to add the repository that they will be using into part of your backup strategy. The general KBA we have for backup/restore procedure doesn't account for the VMS repository or Checkout directory.

The reason I ask about the use of VMS is because you have to remember that VMS in BI is not used in the traditional sense. You are basically checking in and checking out ZIP files with the content. Therefore things like branching, tagging, etc don't work. It's not meant to be used in the traditional "development" lifecycle. You can still checkout older revisions, etc which comes in handy.

Anyway, a bit more clarity from your business might help them decide if VMS is the tool they are looking for. Also note that "backups" is also not a good reason for using VMS although it can help with recovering documents deleted from the CMS, etc.

--

Patrick

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

maheshwarsing
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

You have 2 options.

1. provide key business users access to the CMC and provide them application access only to version management. In this case when the user logs in he will have access only to the version management application and nothing else.

2. i assume the admin promotes the content from DEV > QA > PROD. If yes, on completion of the promotion immediately version the job. When you version the job the job and the contents of the job are automatically versioned as well.

Maheshwar

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For your business user, in production environment, you can consider positioning BI platform scheduling. If the user can schedule a report to their own "BI Inbox" in web-I format(or CR) - that would act as a back up copy.  This way they can preserve the snapshot of the report & do it in a fully automated way without logging on CMC.