cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to restrict development users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We are  4 users planning to start work in  SAP Power Designer  installed on  WTS System.

how to  maintain the privacy of the invidual work  we do power designer

can we enable any access control like SAP HANA or link to a Single sign on

Thanks

Regards,

Suresh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

If your Powerdesigner license supports Repository, then using repository is good solution.

You can create four groups for the repository and assign each user to one of the groups.

You set permission such that the user can only access files belong to his group.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Where do I create the groups for the repository? I have generated each individual license for each user. They access power designer from their own PC with their own license key.

Regarding the repository - We are planning to setup DB schema in oracle 12c. Is there preferred methods to connect to repository from Power designer via Native client or ODBC, which is preferred way?

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

After create repository, you login as ADMIN from Powerdesigner client.

Then go to Repository->Administration->group.

Please use native client to connect the repository

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Each user has their own Client installed on their local PC. What is the ADMIN account password?

And also what are the requirements for creating repository like what level permissions we need to grant to the schema/user in oracle?

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

DBA uses his/her admin account to create an ODBC connection.

He/She uses this connection to connect to database server from Powerdesigner.

Once the connection succeeds, Powerdesigner pops up dialog box stating it will install

repository on that db server.  You accept it. Then you will see SQL DDL code shows up.

You execute it.

If the process finishes successfully, it will pop up a window asking you to set password for ADMIN.

You , based on company policy,decide whether or not allow ADMIN account to be shared by ordinary user.

The DBA also needs create database account for repository user.

Each user use his/her database account to create ODBC connection.

The next step is the repository ADMIN account owner creates repository account for each user.

Login as ADMIN. Go to Repository->Administration.

You see  User, Group etc.  You can set permission for each user.

Repository consist of about 100 tables. These tables(starting with pm) are used to store data model and file and metadata. User should have minimum right to insert/update/delete an entry in these tables.  So DBA should set permission allowing these actions.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Phillip,

Thank you very much for detailed information.

Let me understand this clearly.

Our case we are using Oracle DB. So we will use native client to connect to DB.

DBA creates a schema in oracle DB.

Power Designer user connects to the DB using native client to the user created by DBA.

PD user will create repository in the schema.

After successful creation of repository, PD user will set the password for Admin.

And also ADMIN user will setup the permissions for each user to connect to repo.

Couple of other questions related to this?

Only one repository , but shared by multiple users? Correct?

Which guide has this information? I see so many documents in the help support portal

0 Kudos

This topic provides an overview of administrative tasks for setting up a repository and controlling access:

Core Features Guide > Administering PowerDesigner > Controlling Repository Access

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Robert. All admin tasks need to be controlled using Power Designer desktop tool.

Can you confirm above steps I mentioned are correct?

0 Kudos

You can perform most of these tasks through the Web interface too:

PowerDesigner Web > Administering PowerDesigner Web > Controlling Repository Access

Your steps look good to me - good luck!

--R

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am trying to create connection profile using Oracle , native client, I am getting an error 'Connection test failed'. Eventhough I could connect to schema using PL/SQL developer

former_member200945
Contributor
0 Kudos

After installed native client, have you add the server name and port in tnsnames.ora?

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can tnsping to the db. So there is no issue there.