Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP SLC - Deployment on top of ECC or SRM - Advantage and Disadvantages

ashish_shah
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I wanted to understand SAP SLC deployment options and its pros and cons.

I have a new SAP landscape coming up with fresh implementation for ECC, SRM, SLC and IBM emptoris systems

We will be using SAP SRM for self service procurement in Classic Scenario.

SAP Emtoris will be used for strategic sourcing(RFX, Auction And BID) and Contract life cycle management.

Can you please share advantages and disadvantages: of SAP SLC Deployment on ECC and on SRM system keeping above scenarios in mind?

Regards,

Ashish Shah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

poesterwitz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mitesh,

SRM and SUS require PI, but still SLC buy-side can communicate with the sell-side using WSRM or RFC. For security reasons, it makes sense to also use PI between buy- and sell-side.

Please note, that ERP backends can only be connected using RFC.

So basically, without PI, you couldn't leverage the full potential of SRM in this scenario, since you need it to connect SUS. If you installed the buy side on SRM and the sell-side as stand alone, you could use SRM and SLC but not SUS without having a PI in place.

Please not that you should never have SLC just on different clients in a productive Scenario (for D and Q Systems that's fine, but in a P System this is a real security issue).

This is taken from the current SLC master guide (SLC2 SPS2):

I hope that helped 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perfect Answer, Thank a lot,

We had also reached out to SAP for the same question and they also confirmed the same.

We will consider you valuable suggestion while designing our system landscape.

Many thanks

ashish_shah
Contributor
0 Kudos

Any Suggestions?

poesterwitz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, I recommend you to  go for an SRM deployment (based on what you wrote, this cannot be a full-blown evaluation).

Technically SLC is far closer to SRM than to ECC and maintenance is going to be easier (down-times apply only to SRM and the integration component update in ECC doesn't require a restart).

Also you can use integrate the supplier easier into the bidding process (there is no replication to SRM needed -> is Emptoris connected to SRM or ECC?).

95% of SLC customers go for an SRM deployment, from my experience.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

SRM deployement option for SLC needs PI in landscape as the buy side can be installed on top of SRM and sell side can be on top of SUS but since SRM and SUS can talk only through PI, even though SLC buy and sell side can talk using either of RFC/WSRM/XI ...

Does this mean PI need to be there in the landscape even though SLC can be deployed in a way to use RFC ?

can you please puts some lights on this?

Point I am trying to raise here is - can a customer who does not have PI in landscape, go for SRM deployement scenario

OR

the only option is to have is a HUB scenario where SLC is installed seperately on a different box ( with 2 clients one for sell side ans second for buy side both talking to each other using RFC) and connected to seperate SRM system using RFC again ?