cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BPM for SAP business workflow

0 Kudos

Hi, all
I have a question about BPM. I would like to use BPM to control SAP business workflow.

I think that Fiori needs to be implemented with SAP business workflow if we would like to

customize approval flows such as multi-steps of purchase approval, complex business rules...

But I wouldn't like to create many configurations with SAP business workflow. So, is it possible

to control the approval steps and business rules by calling them from BPM (including BRM) ?

Regards,

TOMOE YABU

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes

0 Kudos

Hi, Jun

Thank you for your reply.

Could you share any reference with me, please?

I would like to know the case study related integration of

Fiori, Business Workflow and BPM.

Regards,

Tomoe YABU

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Tomoe,

It's possible but landing on one specific technology is not necessarily going to give you the outcome you need.

Firstly Fiori - Fiori My Inbox supports both Business Workflow and BPM.

Secondly - Business rules

Suggest you at least consider DSM and BRFPlus in this space to provide your business rules

While BPM includes BRM, if the source data for your rules is held in a ABAP system, then DSM/BRFPlus may provide a more effective solution.

Both BRM and DSM/BRFPlus can be integrated with Business Workflow and BPM

Thirdly workflow based process control

- you don't mention your specific concerns around using workflow? That might help to decide which way to go

- BPM or Workflow are both possible

Workflow is strong where the process is entirely within one SAP instance/system

BPM is strong on cross-instance/system scenarios but can handle single instances as well

Often BPM would be used with Process Orchestration as part of broader approach

There are differences in how the different technologies build their flows, handle events and handle read/write to business data

Also there are differences in the resources and skills you will need

So the question you are asking needs a nuanced answer that looks at your whole situation, and the final answer may be a combination of multiple technologies.

Suggest you start with a getting a picture of what workflows you need to support, and what sort of user experience you want for the inbox.  You may want to consider getting some roadmap/future direction advice via your local SAP Office before going too far down one path or another.

Rgds,

Jocelyn

0 Kudos

Hi, Jocelyn

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I understand that some technologies will be needed to achieve my purpose and decided to talk with SAP Japan office.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just my two cents:

Don't use SAP BPM if you can use Business Workflow!!!

I'm using SAP BPM for almost 4 years now, and it's still a pain in the ass...

It's still very buggy + unstable and developing with NWDS is also very uncomfortable.

With ABAP stack you can easily use standard Eclipse IDE or SAP Web IDE.

Additionally version management/transport mechanism with standard CMS is also much better than if you have to set up a NWDI environment.

So my recommendation:

If you can stay on the ABAP side, stay there...

Regarding FIORI I have no clue, but I guess you can also build SAPUI5 applications for approvals without activating the FIORI stuff. The only downside I see is that you have to build up knowledge regarding SAP gateway.

Or you use WD ABAP if the approval will only be done on Desktop PCs (it now also supports Chrome and Firefox very well).

0 Kudos

Hi, Thorsten

Thank you very much for the answer. That's so helpful!