cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention policy for manual attachments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All

I have set up a content repository (file system storage) in our SAP system for manual attachments. The users can manually attach and retrieve documents from FB03 (for ex.).

Since these documents do not have a document number, doctype, link table and retention as we configure in OAC3, can someone explain me how can I configure retention for these manual attachments? I know that these documents are updated in the table SOOD.

Thanks

VK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

benedikt_wagner_mdt
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata,

SAP note 530792 states that attachements "enable the end user to easily enter attachments without document characters (memos).Correspondingly, there is no archiving concept for this type of

attachment.". A retention does not make sense since users are allowed to change and delete their documents.

My recommendation would be to use "business documents" in combination with SAP note 1451769. This extends the ArchiveLink documents with filename, creator and creation time stamp. So it's similar to the attachements.

Additonally the service for attachements should be disabled using BAdI GOS_SRV_SELECT.

Regards,

Benedikt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Benedikt

I have few questions on your update.

What do we achieve with this correction? It does give additional details like filename, creator and timestamp, where does it add (in the table SOOD ??)

How is it similar to the scanned attachments?

Can you please provide more details on : Additonally the service for attachements should be disabled using BAdI GOS_SRV_SELECT.

Thanks

VK

benedikt_wagner_mdt
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata,

before note  1451769 the ArchiveLink documents showed up in the attachement list only with document type and creation date. If you uploaded multiple files to one SAP object then you had to open every item in the attachement list to see the content or you had to use multiple document types.

With the note you can see the additional attributes. So this is similar to the attachements you use today (stored in SOOD)

The advantage of the ArchiveLink documents is that they are stored in content repositories on external archive server, you have retention on the document (from transaction OAC3) and you cannot change or delete them (if authorization object S_WFAR_OBJ is set to activity 01 and 03 only). Links to the documents are stored in tables TOA0x (transaction OAC3) and attributes are stored in TOAAT.

So if you decide to use "store business document" (i. e. ArchiveLink) then you should prevent users from using "create attachement". Because "create attachement" is always there and everyone can (and will) use it. How to do this please have a look at http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-51232.

Regards,

Benedikt