Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XSLT: how to get source file for debugging on "call transformation"

markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

for a project I am doing first steps on XSLT by using call transformation with asXML. I'm also familiar with ST, but now the data structure is very complex, so I decided to use asXML the first time. 

I read many tutorials on XSLT and I also worked with XSLT on java projects. Now my target is to export many data from ABAP to XML.

Because of the complexity I have lot to do on XSLT and I'm fighting of course with many errors

For this I tried to debug the transformation process ... but I realized, that I need a source XML for this.

Now my stupid question is: how can I easily create this file with the ABAP output.

My transformation is called by:

CALL TRANSFORMATION zca_tr_export_list_xslt
        SOURCE (gt_source_itab)
        RESULT XML xmlstr.

gt_souce_tab is a complex data type with multiple internal tables and sub tables.

I understand, that in ABAP core the structure will be transferred to asXML. Then this XML will be parsed by the XSLT process, right ?

How can I route the source data with BAP output to a local file for debugging purposes ? I understand, that I need asXML format, right ?

The output of xmlstr is not need to export ... this is clear, how to download it.

Thank you very much for your help ...

Regards,

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

this question is solved by myself after spending some nights on hard work.

If you are interested in the solution, please have a look to my blog on handling XSLT debugging.

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/blog/2015/06/10/xslt-how-to-get-source-file-for-debugging-on-call-...

Regards,

Markus

3 REPLIES 3

markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

this question is solved by myself after spending some nights on hard work.

If you are interested in the solution, please have a look to my blog on handling XSLT debugging.

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/blog/2015/06/10/xslt-how-to-get-source-file-for-debugging-on-call-...

Regards,

Markus

0 Kudos

IMO, source xml is not really required for debugging purpose.

You just have to set breakpoint in transformation and then run the abap code that calls the transformation.

Below code:

DATA lt TYPE TABLE OF spfli.

SELECT * FROM spfli UP TO 2 ROWS INTO TABLE lt.

DATA lv_xml TYPE string.

CALL TRANSFORMATION zid

SOURCE root = lt

RESULT XML lv_xml.

...takes me to transformation debugger because a breakpoint is set there.

Yes, I could not debug standard transformation "id". That is why I made a custom copy of it and set breakpoint there.

I think you did F8 execute option in XSLT editor and tried to debug from that screen. From that screen, yes, a source xml is required.

/.

0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

thank you for your reply. I said exactly the same like Shai, who was answering to my blog.

You are totally right ... I was wondering, why I was the first one with this question

Sometimes it is good to sleep a little if you hang on a tricky solution ...

Regards,

Markus