cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printcontrol issues with IE11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

We developped an ASP Application that displays reports from a Crystal Server 2011 (.NET SDK 2011 SP04 and Crystal Server 2011 SP4 ).

We had some printing issues with IE11:

• Printing the reports in IE 11 (from crystal viewer) opens the export Window (see attached printscreen). When switching IE11 into compatibility mode the print control works

After we noticed that Crystal Server 2011 SP04 was not compatible with IE11.(http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e05429d2-7697-2f10-92a4-c014bbafa...)

We chosse to Upgrade to SP11 that should be compatible (http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/301d4202-b3ad-3010-9b99-c819c0a18...).

This Upgrade works on my development computer. I Upgraded the .NET SDK to SP11 (SBOP BI PLATFORM .NET SDK RUNTIME 4.0 SP11 WINDOWS 32B64B) and Crystal Reports (SAP CRYSTAL REPORTS 2011 SP11 WINDOWS (32B)).

But when I deploy the Application on our Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with  .NET SDK SP11 the print dialog doesn't work.

Did I miss to Install something on the Server?

Regards,

- Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Install Adobe Reader then it should work.... Make sure it's installed under the same account IIS is running under.

And you may have to enable the Adobe IE plug-in also.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don, Thanks for your help.

• I installed Adobe Reader 10 (see attached printscreen Installed.PNG)
  • I changed the Identity of the Application Pool to the same user with which I Installed the Adobde Reader and restarted it
  • On the client machine the Adobe IE Plugin is enabled (see attached printscreen AdobeIEPluing.PNG)

But when I try to print a Report it's still the "Save As PDF" Dialog which shows up.

Did I miss something?

Regards

-Adrian

0 Kudos

Try disabling the plug-in now... I think that is what I did.

I had a look at mine and I do have it disable also, very strange... Previously we only worked if the plug-in was enabled....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I disabled all Adobe Plugins:

• Adobe PDF
  • Adobe PDF Link Helper
  • Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper
  • SmartSelect Class

It's still the "Save as PDF" Dialog which shows up.

Do you have any other idea what could be the Problem ?

It's strange that it works on my local computer but not if I deploy on the server (but works if IE is in compatibility mode).

Regards

- Adrian

0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

Possibly those other PC's are not getting the updated Print Control dll for your app.

Do you see this in Add-ins, yous may be different version. Mine is updated because we use the print control for internal app's also:

The one you should have is located here:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13\ActiveXControls

Open the printcontrol.cab file and you should be able to manually extract and run the installer on the other PC's:

Your WEB server should also should be pushing this updated cab file down to the another using your app.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I tried to install the printcontrol manualy, but this didn't solve the problem. Here some more informations:

When I deploy my application on the server and accessing from the client machine with IE11 I can have 3 different print reactions:

• ActiveX Print Dialog shows up: This happens when I set IE in compatibiliy mode (set User-Agent to IE10 in Developper tools. See attachment: ActiveXPrintDialog.png). This uses the IE Addon "Crystal Report Print Control 14.0"
  • PDF Print Dialog shows up: This happens when I set the DocumentMode to 10 in Developper tools (See attachment: PDFPrintDialog.png). This uses the IE Addon "Adobe PDF Reader"
  • Save As PDF Dialog shows up : This happens when i have IE11 without compatibility mode (configuration in IE11 Developper tools in attachment: SaveAsPDF.png)

The Strange thing is that when I run the Website on my developper PC and accessing it with the same client machine with the same configuration (IE11 without compatibility mode like in SaveAsPDF.png) the ActiveX control shows up.

I want to have the same behaviour when deploying to the server.

Any idea what could be configured wrong?

Regards

- Adrian

0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

So if they are connecting to your DEV PC and it works that indicates the versions are the same.

Only reason I can think of is if the version on the production server is either really really old or it happens to be even newer than what you are using but newer should get pushed down...

As soon as the user browses to the IIS server the CAB file version should check to see if the workstations printcontrol dll is the same or older and push it down if not.

Try Fiddler, it should log and show you what version it is looking for. Process Monitor on the server may show where it's loading the CrystalReportViewer14 is being loaded from...

I just updated one of my test images to IE 11 and it asked me about enabling ad-ins and then if I wanted to add the SAP stuff and now in IE I see all of these plug-ins when viewing report

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I could not get more informations with Fiddler or ProcessMonitoring. The PrintControl was not sent to the client at all (as if no ActiveXControl existed).

After a long research I decided to uninstall completetly the .NET SDK from the server and reinstall it.

Now the printcontrol works.

I think the problem was that we made an upgrade installation (from SP4 to SP11). Something must have gone wrong.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Adrian

Answers (0)