cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap business one Studio - Modify a system form

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. I modify a system form with SAP Business One Studio (not for Microsoft Visual Studio) by adding new controls and I export it on srf file. Now, what I want is to make change visible in SAP Business One. How can I do this? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member241304
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Adama Seck,

I think this will help you

1.In Visual studio,open srf file and do changes in that(xml file or srf file)

check it once.

Regards,

P.Pallavi

BattleshipCobra
Contributor
0 Kudos

As a non-developer SAP Business One consultant having no experience with the SDK or Visual Basic or generating add-ons, I want to be able to edit forms.

This seems to be the claim of the B1 Studio and if you edit a UDO form you have the option to "Save to Database" right from the B1 Studio and it actually makes your changes.  SO, I don't need the SDK in order to actually modify a system form which is awesome.  The modifications to the UDO form do not even require an add-on, they are saved directly to the database.

However, when I go to edit a system form I'm able to edit it in the B1 Studio but there isn't the same "Save to Database" option as there is like the UDO forms.  In the B1 Studio documentation it simply states (Page 26 of Working with SAP Business One Studio Suite):

You can add user items, modify the properties of a system item, and register events, but you cannot delete existing system items. The modification is implemented after you reopen the system form.

So I added a simple text label and when I go back to reopen the form it has not changed like the UDO form does.  The manual offers NO other instructions and if you ask me this statement above is an incomplete answer.  I believe this is what Adama is asking.

Perhaps this thread should not be in the SDK section since most users here will already know how to make an add-on from scratch.  But I want to be able to edit the system forms like the UDO forms using B1 Studio without making an add-on.

Thanks!

Mike

pedro_magueija
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

There are some limitations when working with system forms.

The reason is you could edit a system form datasources, or other business critical items. This is not allowed, neither through the SDK or B1 Studio. If the UI is all you need to change you can do it using the Tools->'Edit Form UI' . This allows you some degree of customization (mostly hiding items or adding UDF to the form).

You can't have the same edit level of a UDO form for a system form, because the latter are protected to avoid issues in B1. Notice that the same limitation are applied even when you're developing an addon.

What you can try is to post the specific edit you want to do and we'll tell whether that is possible or not (without using an addon).

Best regards,

Pedro Magueija

View Pedro Magueija's profile on LinkedIn

BattleshipCobra
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Pedro,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I understand the "Edit Form UI" but it's impossible to do properly and to line everything up.

So what I'm gathering is I can make changes to system forms, but I have to make an add-on to do so?  But with the add-on I can also make my own custom user forms and add a folder to the menu.

Is this correct?

I was hoping that the SAP B1 Studio guide would state this clearly since it would be awesome if we could use the same method as the UDO form editing without making an add-on.

Mike

pedro_magueija
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I understand the "Edit Form UI" but it's impossible to do properly and to line everything up.

Yes, unfortunately that's the case

So what I'm gathering is I can make changes to system forms, but I have to make an add-on to do so?

Yep, that's correct. You can take a system form make some changes to it and then export those changes to a file that you can load in an add-on. Notice that even then limitations apply (e.g.: you can't enable a disabled system item).

I'd always recommend to develop an add-on when the changes needed are greater than simply hiding a field or renaming a label.

But with the add-on I can also make my own custom user forms and add a folder to the menu.

Yep, all these changes can be made from an add-on as well.

To conclude, sometimes the time spent trying to customize B1 without an add-on can be "large". Add-ons were created exactly for more involved customization. It will take you some time to "get it", but the power the SDK gives you is greater than the client only tools.

ps: you have a great resource in SCN if you want to take the time to learn the SDK.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Pedro Magueija

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Did someone get the answer?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

merely editing a form in sap b1 studio doesn't allow you to build an addin, it's simply not enough.

the resulting file of your editing in sap b1 studio HAS to be loaded by a .net application ( your addin )

please follow pedro advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i suggest to use sap b1 studio _inside_ ms visual studio, you will get rid of all this hassle to load xml and things..

please check this

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,  Today I falowing the tutorial you create but The Form I want to Open for editing is just not open in VB 2010,  I dont know why, 

Im a beginer with sap 9.1 SDK  please if you can enlight me i will apreciate it

regards

pedro_magueija
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adama,

You can read the srf file into a string and load that string using oApplication.LoadBatchActions(xmlForm);.

Private Sub LoadFromXML(FileName As String)
'//****************************************************************************
'// The sample assumes the directory "C:\Program Files\SAP Manage\XML" contains
'// proper XML file and a reference to Microsoft XML was added to the project
'//****************************************************************************

Dim oXMLDoc1 As MSXML2.DOMDocument
    Set oXMLDoc1 = New MSXML2.DOMDocument

'// Load the content of the XML File
    oXMLDoc1.Load ("C:\Program Files\SAP Manage\XML\" + FileName)

'// Load the form into SAP Business One
    SBO_Application.LoadBatchActions oXMLDoc1.xml
End Sub

You can find samples in the SDK Samples directory installed with your SDK.

Best regards,

Pedro Magueija

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pedro.Excuse me If you don't understand because my english is very low. I'm a beginner SDK. I tried to modify the sample WorkingWithXml but it doesn't work. I have an invalid form error. I verified on the xml document genarated by Sap Business Studio and the uid is empty (<form uid="">...</form>). I put  F_80 then 60110 because I want to modify the system form Customer call but there was not a change.