cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning ECC 5.0 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings everybody,

we are currently planning to upgrade our ECC 5.0 to a newer release (we are thinking about going to ERP 6.0 EHP7), but we have many doubts about how to proceed.

Currently, we have the aforementioned ECC 5.0 (sap_basis level SAPKB64013), db MSSQL  8.00.194, s.o. MS Windows Server 2003 32 bit. As said before, we are thinking about going ERP 6.0 EHP7. With the occasion we would also upgrade hardware, S.O. (Win Server 2008 R2) and DB (MS SQL 2008 or 2012).

The main questions are the following:

1. Could this be done in a "single step", meaning we can upgrade straight to the release we want or we have to upgrade to an "intermediate" release (e.g. ERP 6.0) and then go for EHP7?
  2. Could this be done entirely by SUM, or in case we have to perform an "intermediate" upgrade, we should use also SPAM/SAINT?

As we understand this upgrade could require a lot of efforts, could it be a viable option to install an ERP 6.0 EHP7 from scratch and then perform a data migration from the old ERP 5.0 to the new one?

Thank you in advance for your advices, best regards

Federico

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Federico,

You can just look to PAM and see for available matrix whether you can go directly to ECC6.0 with EHP7 or EHp6.

With PAM you will come to know about exact target db and os version requirement.

I assume there should be big issue while doing this upgrade. You can just use SUM and go ahead for this upgrade in one go.

Things are more easy now compared to past and you can do a copy of your PRD to a sandpit and do a test run for same.

Cheers

Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepanshu,

I already checked PAM, but I couldn't get the answers I wanted.

To be more precise: the original plan was to upgrade straight to EHP7, but we wanted to do that after a heterogeneous system copy to a new hardware with Win 2008 and MS SQL 2008/2012.

Problem is, I checked the PAM and the highest S.O. / DB supported by ECC 5.0 are Win 2003 / MS SQL 2005 (that is, our current S.O. and DB).

So, I'm a bit confused on how to proceed, considering that EHP7 minimum requirements are Win 2008 / MS SQL 2008, not to mention the fact that SUM requires at least 7.20 kernel.

As I understand the situation, I can't perform first a system copy (and then upgrade to EHP7) to a newer hardware/S.O./DB because it would be incompatible with ECC 5.0, but I can't also do the upgrade first and then do the system copy, because it would be incompatible with EHP7.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Federico,

I understand your concern, I would request you to go ahead with one of test / dry run for migration of your current ECC5.0 to Win 2008 and MSSQL 2008 / 2012. I understand that PAM doesn't support but still I suggest you to go ahead and perform a dry run.

I assume it will not take much time to go ahead on it.

Cheers

Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Federico,

I will also suggest you to please raise a message with SAP and lets come out with some outcomes.

CHeers

Sharma