Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Value of Separating SCS into z/OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Appreciate if any one shed some light regarding the following questions :

1. The real value of putting SCS into z/OS as opposed to putting everything in the same host (zLinux) for simplicity.

2. Is it Ok if we decide to separate SCS for productive systems ONLY but NOT for non-productive (i.e for system copy, client copy ... etc).

What is the best practice is this case.

My argument here is trying to avoid complexity, reduce operational effort and cost.

Thanking you.

Rgds,

Sheikh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sheikh,

please check note 821904 so you will get an idea about how complex the set up is

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/821904

Regards,
Javier

Harald
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

the SAP note that you mention describes the conversion of a CI (Central Instance) based installation into an installation with a separate SCS instance.

You are correct that this is a rather complicated procedure. But it is only applicable if you have a very old (6.40-based) installation and want to separate the SCS.

Since the 7.x releases the SAP standard is a SCS-based installation and I think Sheikh's question is about the pro's and con's of putting all instances on one platform (DI, SCS) versus installing SCS on z/OS and the DIs on zLinux.

Having everything on one platform (zLinux) definitely reduces the maintenance and installation effort, since you only have to deal with one platform (e.g. when applying kernel patches).

If your production system needs to be highly available then an SCS installation on z/OS is definitely the best choice. So if your production systems has the SCS on z/OS I would at least have a pre-production test system or a QA system also with the same configuration (SCS on z) such that the production system is not the ONLY system which has the SCS on z.

For development or sandbox systems an zLinux-only installation may be quicker to implement and easier to maintain.

best regards,

Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Harald,

I haven't dealt with this stuff in a while but yes you are right.  This note might help Sheikh then

1322991 ZSCSinst Installationtool for SAP Central services on z/OS

Regards,
Javier

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sheikh, right now we have SCS on Mainframe's USS and we are thinking about to migrate to zLinux because USS is not so friendly. I don't know if you talk about this situation?

regards

Gustavo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo, could you explain a little bit what you mean by not so friendly ? What could I do to make it friendlier for you and others?

best regards, Harald