cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace device location with Mobile Secure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked the document about Afaria, there is such features that able to trace the device location. I'm trying this in SAP Mobile Secure Cloud edition. I already enable the function but during enrollment it didn't prompt me notification as request my authorize for this.

Therefore when I check on my device, it have nothing to show as below.

Any idea what settings I had missed. Would like to know how does it looks like when tracing the device. Is it a map will be show?
Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian Chan,

Thank you for reaching out to SAP Community Network.

Please go through this SAP Note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2119291 and make sure you follow all the steps as mentioned in the SAP Note.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Meantime, did you encounter the problem that for iOS device, it didn't prompt user for allow location service. I didn't get that notification, maybe that is why can't see anything from the portal.

Gonna try with Android soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

As suggested in the SAP Note, For iOS there isn’t a specific policy.If you check "enable activity collection" on the server, the user will get a prompt to allow location services while enrolling the device. Additionally you must be using the custom client. Also if location services is off on the device, it will not work.

Hence, you should enable the GPS location on the user device only then the user will get prompt from the Afaria server to allow location service while enrollment of the device.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Server is enabled for activity collection. Device location services also enabled. But what does the custom client means?

It didn't prompt me anything when I enroll the device. Now I'm trying to re-enroll it.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

For iOS devices, you should be using the Custom Afaria Client which is not downloaded through App Store. The custom Afaria Client can be deployed through Sybase Frontline. If you have access to Sybase Frontline -> Go to Custom-Signed App. You will find all the documents related to instructions on how to deploy the custom Afaria Client.

http://frontline.sybase.com/support/documents/Afaria/Afaria_Custom_App_Instructions_v3.pdf

Please use the above link for Custom Afaria client app instructions.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your informative reply.
Will try it out. Meanwhile I realize for the Android it do refer to settings from the SAP Note.

A config policy should be linked to the android devices for the locating the device:

Go to Config Policy -> Android -> Samsung Safe -> Location Policy -> Enable GPS Location Provider - Yes

So I assume the GPS location only works for Samsung device?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha,

As the enrollment, it will auto request user to install SAP Afaria. How can I change it to not install the SAP Afaria from App Store but to install my custom Afaria Client?

Kindly advice.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

The Location Policy is available both for LG and Samsung SAFE devices but not for Nitro Desk devices.

Please find the below screen for further reference:

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

We can restrict the users not to use the App Store Afaria client and can allow them to use the Custom Afaria Client app on the device during enrollment. Go to Admin console -> Server -> configuration -> Enrollment -> iOS Afaria Application -> Select "Custom" and upload/browse to the Custom Afaria Client deployed using Sybase Frontline and click on "SAVE". Then all the iOS users can download the custom Afaria client app during enrollment.

Please see the below screenshot.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Hope the solution provided by me serves your purpose. Please revert for any further queries/clarifications on this issue.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Do you have any more queries on the location view issue? Did my previous replies cleared all the queries?

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha,

Thanks for following up. Sorry I was outstation.

I had tried with the Custom Afaria apps. When I launched the Afaria, it did asked my permission as it will get data from my mobile. Now when I check on the apps settings, it have location service enabled.

But when I logged into Afaria Admin, it shows enabled for location. But no Location button for me to click like the one in the documentation.

Don't have the Location icon to click.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Let me reproduce it on my instance and will get back to you.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

It was a known bug earlier but now the bug is resolved. It's working fine in my instance. Could you please cross-check if Activity Collection is enabled under Server -> Configuration -> Device Activity.

If the activity collection is not enabled even though the GPS is enabled on the device, we cannot get the Map icon on the admin UI.

Please check again and confirm on the same.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha,

Yup the Activity Collection is enabled.

When I enroll the device it will install my custom Afaria and it will ask for my authorization to access the location of my phone.

For you info, I'm using the trial Mobile Secure and the Afaria is Version 7.00.7103.0 SP5

So does it mean I still can't see the function from my portal?

Can I know which Afaria version that had fix this problem?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Seems like everything is looking fine. But, the Map icon is not visible in AdminUI. This issue has been resolved in SP5 in which your instance is already available.

Please give me sometime while I check with my peers and provide you an update. Is Android working fine?

Cheers,

Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Here is the Notes http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1977661 where it says that the Map icon doesn't display for individual device and is addressed/fixed in SP5.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

This is weird as the Afaria version I'm using for the trial cloud Mobile Secure. It is 7.0 SP5.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Could you please check with the other iOS device if possible? I just want to confirm that this is device-specific issue or not?

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushmitha,

I just able to get an Android device to test. I able to enroll the device and once start the Afaria, it will notify me that Afaria will collect the info of the device.

When I checked on the Android device details in Afaria Admin, it also showed location enabled. But once I go to Location View, it same as iOS device whereby no map icons to clicks.

Seems like not device issues, but is the Afaria Admin problem.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adrian,

Hope the above proposed answer resolves the issue. If the question is answered, please mark the discussed as answered so that the other customers with similar issue will look into this discussion for the solution.

Cheers,
Sushmitha