Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send and receive iDocs to/from same SAP-System using WebService

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts!

I and my colleagues are experimenting wih iDocs; we want to know is it is possible to send an iDoc using an SAP-WebService, and receive this iDoc in the same SAP-System (and proccess this iDoc with an Inbound function).

Is that possible? If yes, could you give some infos so we can configure this scenario?

Best regards!

5 REPLIES 5

Juwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please let me know why are you trying to use SAP-Webservice to do this? A simple call to function module IDOC_INBOUND_SINGLE, would be sufficient.

Thanks,

Juwin

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can use a function in the port definition (WE21) for outbound, but not the web service directly, from what I see. For inbound the web service would have to create an IDoc, but this is rather unusual implementation, I believe.

It might be an option in XI / PI / PO / PRO, but this is ABAP forum...

What are you trying to achieve exactly? If a web service is an option, it might make sense to avoid IDocs altogether. But it depends.

Edit: sorry, just realized this is about the same SAP system. Within the same system you'll need to use just RFC connection pointing to itself. You don't need a web service for that at all, it would add no value and just increase complexity.

former_member185054
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You are complicating the system, if you can use web service then no need for IDOC's.

regards,

sampath

0 Kudos

Hey, thanks for posting the link, Sampath. It was quite interesting, although I do agree it looks like an overkill. If web service is an option then why bother with IDoc? Just wondering what kind of business scenario this would be suitable for...

former_member185054
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hey Jelena, I just read your comments in that link. I have understood their biz requirement.

Thanks..