cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Number from FULL IBAN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a question for SAP for both ECC 6.0 as well as Business One. Your answer is probably going to be the same for both versions.

As we all know, in SAP are different fields for both parameters ''IBAN'' and ''Bank Account Number''. This isn't the same because IBAN contains starting two letters plus on second and third position two digits. I would like to know for ALL IBAN countries, common ones* and not so common ones**, if the automated money transmit (functionality of sap) will work correctly if I may, for IBAN countries (* **) create the rule in the following quoted text:

"As IBAN, always type ENTIRE iban code, including first two positions that are letters representing the country. As Bank Account Number from IBAN financial institution, type the same value BUT exclude first FOUR positions and, IF on 5th position is blank space then exclude it too. The ''Bank Account Number" field is therefore everything what remains."

To simplify: I am asking for every single IBAN country (* **), without a single exception, if is valid approach according to my rule above? I would like to avoid having to research how to get only account number from IBAN so above quoted rule would be perfect, I am only asking if is valid one? 100% random chosen example of 100% randomly picked country (to explain better my question) is the following:

CH93 0076 2011 6238 5295 7

note: on 5th position is blank space.

So according to quoted text the value in Bank Account Number is:

0076 2011 6238 5295 7

I am only asking if such approach is also valid to have a guarantee sap will 100% work correctly so request for automated money transmit will arrive to financial institution and will be executed for physical transmit of money according to my chosen transaction type?

Example at the bottom of the following link (please check the link):

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_rc10/helpdata/en/60/ce 584038aecd01e10000000a155106/content.htm

says rule in quoted text isn't correct but in my ideal situation (avoiding further work/research) and based on few sources i have found so far, is that the quoted text could be correct. 

Even the big table on the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_A ccount_Number

indicates my idea in quoted text isn't valid. I am sure you are asking yourself why would I want to avoid a work on figuring out exact syntax (length) of bank account number within iban country if table provides me this already. I have two answers on this. First is that this table on wiki link doesn't contain ALL iban countries. Second is that I found few sources stating bank account number formats for iban countries differently. Would like to kindly ask you to please do Not tell me to just use the table on that wiki webpage because what I need from you is comment on quoted text above (the rule).

Could I please get your comment on that? Oh and I need to describe also this:

* common IBAN countries: Italy, Germany,...

** not so common IBAN countries: Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Wallis and Futuna, Tunisia, Qatar, Lebanon, Guadeloupe, Isle of Man, French Polynesia, French Guyana, Iran, Senegal and so on,...

So I am asking for review of my idea (quoted text rule) for every single IBAN country.

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member194797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a FM CONVERT_IBAN_2_BANK_ACCOUNT for converting IBAN to bank account but be careful. In some countries like Luxembourg, when a customer asks for a new bank account, the bank will create a new IBAN but no other bank account. The IBAN itself is used as bank account. In SAP, you will find a value in bank account field, but this value may be only used inside SAP.

Keep also in mind that in SAP there is a functionality "Activate IBAN without Bank Account Number" and if you build a solution now, maybe there is a problem after activating this functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henri thank you for reply. Fortunately the main purpose of opening this topic is solved - thanks to Anton. The answer is that my idea/rule in quoted text of first post won't work for guaranteed all iban countries. However now I am searching for solution and easiest way how to get bank account number from full iban code. This is what I have been researching for days, if not even weeks, and still didn't get any solution. Obviously solution for guaranteed ALL iban countries. If same solution, I am looking for, won't work for ONE iban country then this is the same for me as it doesn't work for any. User Vinod, who then probably forgot about me, had suggested I shall use TIBAN table but he forgot to tell me where to get it. Then Anton told me the command and also told me the first next step but unfortunately after pressing Enter key (after typing ''TIBAN'' without the quotes - see screenshot in my previous post), I am stucked. I don't know where are so called (by Anton) ''criterias'' and where I am supposted to input (either type or paste + Enter key) full iban code. Obviously I expect that this solution, which was suggested to me, by Vinod will for sure work for ALL iban countries. So for every single iban country's full iban code i type, i must get accurate account number this way using ''TIBAN''. If this won't work for all iban countries then I would like to kindly ask you to please tell me secondary solution that i can use for other iban countries.

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Chapeau Henri, pile-poil!

Bon week-end.

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Eston,

Forget TIBAN table. The FM Henri proposed is VERY interesting. It looks like it’ll calculate you Bank acc nbr from any IBAN. Go to SE37, input CONVERT_IBAN_2_BANK_ACCOUNT, press F8, input your IBAN in I_IBAN and press again F8.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anton, hopefully this solution will work for both sap versions ecc 6.0 and businessone, obviously for all, each and every iban country. Will try that. Thank you for your time for me and also thanks to Henri. Have a great weekend.

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Eston,

From ECC6 configuration standpoint your statement does not make sense unless you deactivate country specific check on Bank Account Number for all related countries (see t-code OY17 or table T005, fields LNBKN & PRBKN). Without this deactivation as per your statement it’s simply impossible to save Bank account number in master data for several countries in ECC6. Hence CH93 0076 2011 6238 5295 7 is a good example of such a case. As per your statement Account number with spaces will be longer than 18 positions allowed in standard ECC6 for CH.

Then you asked if it will work for automated bank transfer. Still with above check deactivated, the answer depends on payment originating country, the format you’re using to send your instructions from SAP to the bank and destination country. If i.e. Bank Account Number is not included in instructions then I suppose the answer may be yes. By my own try-error experience having  IBAN only is enough in many, but not in all countries. Some banks actually ask to provide BOTH Bank account number and IBAN despite the fact that given payment could be processed with IBAN only.

Without turning discussion into analysis-paralysis, to me it looks like at some point in your business process you always have IBAN but don’t really need or care about Bank account number. If so, I would like to suggest, if I may, to look at standard ECC6 configuration option called “Activate IBAN without Bank Account Number” (direct t-code F_TIBAN_WO_ACCNO). Here is the quote from help in IMG “In this IMG activity you decide whether users can enter bank details without account number and save and process them in the system. "Bank details without an account number" are bank details where the user knows the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) but not the bank account number...”

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod as far as I understood first paragraph of your latest post, you are saying my quoted rule/idea wouldn't work for ALL countries belonging to iban. I am beginner in SAP and don't have any so called ''consultant'' to ask so just hoping that I could get needed answer here. Having said that, I don't know how to determinate the bank account based on defined, inside SAP, full iban. Would definitely need detailed step by step explanation - exactly what I need to click. After pressing Enter, what would I need to click next and so on. I am afraid only telling me what to write in command line in order to be able to get bank account number based on my defined (typed/pasted) full iban won't be enough. I assume exact steps would be the same for both versions ECC 6.0 and BusinessOne. If you would be willing to provide me those steps, I would definitely appreciate a lot your time.

Anton thank you a lot for your reply. Please note that for me counts only the rule which is 100% guaranteed to work for ALL bank countries related to IBAN both common (see mark * in my FIRST post) and not so common (see mark ** in my FIRST post) bank countries. As soon as the rule, I was mentioning (quoted text in first post) won't work for 1% of IBAN bank countries but will for 99% then this is NOT what I am searching for. I am trying to avoid having to do the work to get account number from full IBAN code. So referring to your first and second post, I guess (guessing often result incorrectly also!) your answer is that my rule/idea isn't correct for ALL bank countries related to IBAN. Now regarding your third paragraph: No, its not true that I always work with IBAN accounts. I work with worldwide accounts but due to nature of IBAN, I got idea I could simplify the procedure with asking about said my quoted rule/idea instead of having to research for account number. I even found some web applications (even desktop ones which is what I prefer) providing account number based on my defined (typed/pasted) full IBAN but as soon as I figured out the application doesn't include ALL bank countries related to IBAN ( * and ** from first post), I ignored it. For bank countries NOT related to iban there is obviously no need for such question. Regarding your suggestion in third paragraph: thank you for providing it but I apologize for being misunderstandable - we didn't understand each other. I am NOT trying to bypass requirement of having to define account number for iban bank countries. I WANT to define it but what I search for is some kind of simplified way***** which would let me get account number from my defined (typed/pasted) full iban. Therefore I wouldn't need to research and worry about it. Vinod suggested me in his FIRST reply great solution - some feature that would work for ALL iban bank countries where I define full iban and sap provides me account number which would be amazing. I am looking forward for his reply with my asked detailed procedure where and how to do this - step by step. Hopefully I could get this from him. Also Anton hopefully I will get further reply from you too whenever you will be available as my question is far from being solved. The most important is that solution I am searching for really works for ALL bank countries related to iban (* **) like Burundi, Monaco, Jordan, Burkina Faso, Benin, Angola, Germany and many many more - ALL.

***** obviously that ''simplified way'' (kindly see the mark ***** above) is said on assumption that my idea/rule (my first post) isn't correct for ALL iban bank countries. If it was then this idea would already be most simplified one: Always removing first four position from iban code and remove 5th one but ONLY if on 5th one is blank space and you end up with account number.

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Eston,

Table TIBAN is a transparent SAP table where both IBAN and Bank Account Number could be stored. As you’ll see it only carries accounts that are already stored in the given ECC6 system. Go to transaction SE16n, type TIBAN and in selection criteria input your particular IBAN and execute. But it cannot give you back Bank Account Number for every IBAN in the world.

Simply put, your statement will not work for every single country.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anton when you said that my statement (the rule in quoted text in third paragraph of FIRST post) won't work for every single country, you probably meant every single iban country. If I type in SE16 then the following screen occurs:

https://knowaboutsapbasis.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/se16-1.png

In case if I should get, for my case, some different screen then please tell me this.

If the screen is correct then here I type, as you said, ''TIBAN'' without the quotes and press Enter key. But could you please tell me, preferable with some screenshot (link to picture), where exactly are those criterias and where exactly should I type full iban before I (after full iban is already pasted/typed) press Enter key?

You told me it cannot give me account number from full iban for every single iban country. As far as I understood Vinod, it should give me account number (based on my defined full iban) for guaranteed every single iban country. You said it doesn't for each and every one. Therefore the obvious, second and third, questions occurs:

- what kind of error message or ''warning'' message do I get in case if I input some iban country's full iban for which sap cannot give bank account number?

- for the iban countries that bank account number cannot be provided this way, where else, either inside or outside sap, could I get for remaining (every single remaing one which cannot be given this way) iban countries?

vinod_vemuru2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Why to complicate things? Can't we simply pass IBAN number to TIBAN table and get bank account number along with other details like Bank country, Bank key and control key?

Different countries have different rules for IBAN. Getting the details from IBAN master data is the safest way. Let me know if my understanding of your requirement is wrong.

Thanks,

V V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod, thank you for your reply but I don't understand anything of what are you saying. I have never asked anything about bank country, bank key and control key. Those are completely different things. Sorry but I don't know what is ''tiban''. Additionally there is no desktop application that would provide account number from full iban number for guaranteed ALL iban countries. Also I don't know what do you mean with term ''iban master data''. Probably I don't have such master data. Anyway, would appreciate a lot if you could please kindly read again my entire post, specially the quoted part in third paragraph because we might misunderstood each other. Will be waiting for your reply and thank you in advance...

vinod_vemuru2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Where would you like to get bank account number from IBAN? Is it in SAP system or some other non-SAP system? TIBAN is a table in SAP to store IBAN details along with respective bank account number. If you are working in non-SAP side, contact your SAP FI consultant with this information.

Thanks,

V V

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are asking TO where the value should go to then it should go TO SAP system for either ECC 6.0 and/or BusinessOne so for either of those two SAP versions. However if you are asking me from where I would like to get bank account number based on IBAN number then basically from anywhere - ideally from desktop application (so i don't need to be dependent whether or not website is available or being down) or some big database. However I doubt there is any application that would really have solutions for ALL countries related to iban available. However I wasn't asking anything about that at all. I was asking if my idea/rule in quoted text is correct or not. I see it as the most simple way to get bank account number from full iban code. To clarify again: I am referring to the quoted text in the third paragraph of my first post above. So I need some expert to check this whether or not it will work. If the answer depends on what do I have in purpose to do with sap then I included that info in the first post too but I doubt it has anything to do with the purpose of sap usage. So once again, I need someone to check/judge/approve/comment my said idea.

As far as I know in SAP cannot be stored/saved anything. However I have no idea how could be Tiban reached and how it could be used. Anyway, I was asking a bit different question.

vinod_vemuru2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not sure if one simple logic would work for all countries. Every country has different logic for forming IBAN. SAP also uses different logic for creating IBAN by doing different validations for different countries.

In Your case, I would suggest you to send the IBAN to SAP and let SAP determine the bank account by using standard SAP function modules.

I would also like to hear back from experts in this forum.

Thanks,

V V