cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Print issue on Windows 2008 server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have Powerbuilder (11.2) COM component deployed into the windows 2008 server. The COM component save the results as PDF. It is working fine on windows 2003 server but it is not working on windows 2008 server.

I have tried the steps on the http://scn.sap.com/thread/3535221 and with cutePDF. None of them are working. Anyone could you please help me resolve on this issue?

The server is windows 2008 64bit operating system. I have the GS installed on the following folder in the server C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.71\

Our sourcode  that returns -1 below

l_Return = l_DS.SaveAs(l_TempFile, PDF!, FALSE)

Thanks,

Senthil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil;

I have this working on our W2008R2 64 bit servers using applications built with PB 12.1 and 12.5.1. This is how I set the server up for ghostscript ...

1) Download and install GS 8.71 64 bit version.

2) Install GS 8.71 and make sure that you set the GS_DLL environment variable ...

ie: GS_DLL=C:\Program Files\GS\gs8.71\bin

3) Install the "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer from the GS 8.71 64 bit .INF file located in the GS install's LIB sub-folder

4) Optional: Add the GS BIN folder to your system path

5) Reboot your PC.

Now, PDF support should be working in your PB applications on the 64 bit MS-Windows 2008 machine.

Note: v8.71 of GS has some key fonts that are not included in later releases of GS and these fonts are also no longer included with newer MS-Windows versions either. So what ever you do ... never delete GS 8.71 from your machine.

You can now upgrade GS as follows:

a) Download and install the latest GS version 9.x or higher 64 bit version

Do not uninstall GS 8.71

b) Install GS 9.x and make sure that you set the GS_DLL environment variable ...

ie: GS_DLL=C:\Program Files\GS\gs9.01\bin  (for example)

c) Delete the old "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer definition

d) Install a new "Sybase DataWindow PS" printer from the GS 9.x 64 bit .INF file located in the GS install's LIB sub-folder.

e) Optional: replace the GS 8.71 BIN folder in your system path with the GS 9.x BIN location.

f) Reboot your PC.

FWIW: This procedure works for me and all my clients every time!

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks for quick reply. I have tried exactly same as you specified but it is not working. The only difference is I am using PB11.2.

On the printer port do I need to choose "Print to File" or something else.

Do I need to upgrade GS 9.x?

Could you please provide me the link for download GS 8.71 and GS 9.x?

Appreciate your help!!!

Thanks,

Senthil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil;

I normally download GS from here ...

Current:  Ghostscript: Ghostscript Downloads

Older: Ghostscript - Browse /GPL Ghostscript/8.71 at SourceForge.net

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I have created a small application and deployed to the same folder where i have the COM dll. The small application successfully printing the PDF. But the COM dll (developed using PB11.2) is not saving the PDF (only saving 0kb pdf files). The COM dll method is called from ASP.NET application.

Thanks,

Senthil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Along with your changes, I need to do another step on the IIS server. I found this on here PB 12.5.1 Web Forms save as PDF | SCN

"If IIS 7.5 then go to IIS manager, go to Application Pools. On PBAppPool right clic, then select Advanced and change the value of Identity of Proccess Model to NetWorkService."

This resolve the issues.

Thanks for your help!!!

thanks,

Senthil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil;

Yes, you should have stated that this was an old WebForm application - then, we would have focused on IIs vs a native C/S application.

Excellent news though & yes, the PB Application Pool privilege should always be set to network service for not only WebForm but PB Web services as well.  😉

Regards ... Chris