Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

start of sap instance without any profile

former_member265504
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a question in mind for which i am trying to get an answer.It might sound very silly but heard it from a couple of people so very curious to know if there is some thing that i am missing in here-

SAP system start without any instance profile in OS level.When i say any profile i mean all profile not only start profile.I know that from NW 7.3 start profile is merged with instance profile,but can a SAP system be started without any kind of profile may it be start,instance or default given the fact that to start the sap system startsrv process will try to read the parameter from the start profile,so how is it possible to start sap system without any profile present at os level in /sapmnt/<SID>/profile/

Thanks & Regards,

Rajdeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member265504
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Divyanshu, for sharing this information. went through the link which you have provided but my question is like I want to know if starting system is possible if all profile files are deleted in OS level, like can I get all profile information from table TPFYPROPTY,TPFET at OS level from database,put al the information in this table together to create new profile and then start system with it. I am not sure but is that possible?

Thanks & Regards,

Rajdeep

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have not tried this. Will come back after giving it a thought.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajdeep,

Following Link will give you  better understanding How sap system started on WIndows and Unix,

I hope it answers your query.

SAP Start Service - Architecture of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server - SAP Library

Regards

Anand

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No it is not possible as profiles as per sequence are read and then system in configured to use them.

even if you set all the parameters in env variables or in hidden .dot profiles, startup won't be possible as far as I can see there are places where profile is passed for proper functioning and support of SAP system.

regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That was a quick reply from my cell phone..

So, coming back to your query - Whenever you issue start up command for SAP, at the background the start script uses profiles to start an instance. It may not be visible to but it is hard-coded to use profiles. Profiles contains parameters which are intrinsic for an instance to work, and it is these profiles where codes look for certain keywords(parameter name) and then compile then into a running instance.

If you see the basic architecture of profiles then these are operating system files having instance configuration information which are generated 1st during the time of installation. These are adapted/changed as per the requirement. Binaries and applications required profiles to be passed as parameter to perform specific operation.

Also, you need to understand the flow in the below link

SAP Start Service - Architecture of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server - SAP Library

Regards,