cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Hierarchy and Node Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Would like to ask for your assistance regarding the settings in the query that I need to modify. Below is the scenario

-There are 4 active hierarchy in the master data, hier1, hier2, hier3 and hier4

-The need is to have 2 variable for this hierarchy in the report

-one variable is to select the one of the 4 active hierarchy

-second intiial screen variable is the nodes or contents of the selected hierarchy above.

i think this is exit but can you give me adive on the execution of this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

what is the problem?

The first requirement is a hierarchy variable, the second is a hierarchy node variable.

These are standard variables which can be created in query designer.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for your reply. The requirement is I should select an active hierarchy in the first hierarchy variable, the second variable is the node hierarchy that depends on the selection of active hierarchy on the first.

sample

1. variable hierarchy ( drill down )

hier1

hier2

hiere3

hier4

After selecting from the 4 active hierarchy above

2. node variable ( the node values here depends on the selection on the first variable ) i f you select hier1 above, the second node outputs the value from the hier1, if you choose hier2, the nodes from hier2 will populate, and so on.

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

yes, this is what the variable do without any programming.

you will need the hierarchy node variable only if you want to select special nodes out of your hierarchy. If you want to select all nodes from the heirarchy you don´t even need to use a node variable.

Just make sure, when you do the selection in your query filter, that you select the hierarchy variable and if necessary the node variable as well.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

There are 4 active hierarchy set, this could be selected thru a hierarchy variable with drill down.

But for the node variable, I think in order to have a node varaible, you will select a specific hierarchy set that will be available in the prompt screen. How will this be changed if I want to select the node of the hier1, or hier2 or hier 3 or hier4 if in the query settings I chose hier1 as default hierarchy set.

I need to filter selected nodes in 4 hierarchies in the initial screen.

Thanks for your help on this

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

this is your error :

" if in the query settings I chose hier1 as default hierarchy set."

you dn´t choose the hier 1 as default in your query, you choose the hierarchy variable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

That setting is what I am saying. The variable hierarchy that I will indicate there in your blue cirle is the drill down hierarchy, the 4 active hierarchy. How will I choose the node level of each of the hierarchy in just one initial variable filter?

Thank for for your continous help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

Is there a way I could see all the node variables of all 4 hierarchy in just one selection screen?

the first variable shows the 4 active hierarchy with drill down

the second variable screen will show the per node of all the 4 active hierarchy, or if there are 5, 5 active hierarchy

the nodes are searchable

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

you can only create selection which combine one hierarchy variable with one hierarchy node variable.

If you want to select nodes from several hierarchies, you need to create as many sets of hierarchy and hierarchy node variables as you want / need.

The system will probably give a warning message, but it will work.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

The request wants to have a 2 variable, one is to select the hierarchy set, then after selecting the hierarchy set, the second variable selects the node on the hierarchy on the first.

I tried creating 4 hierarchy variable for earch hierarchy set but it is not the requirement.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

umashankar_poojar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Ethan,

Does these 4 have different versions? like Hier1 V100, Hier2 V102, Hier3 V103 OR Hier4 V104 OR does these have different time frame? if yes then you can create variable for Version OR Time Frames. So that user can select which one they need.

Thanks,

Umashankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Umashankar,

what versions are you referring, and time frame. the 4 hierarchy are the same settings.

umashankar_poojar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

Hierarchies can be Version Dependent and Time dependent. You can find the information regarding this in 'Hierarchy' Tab and in Hierarchy Properties in InfoObject Manage screen (@RSA1). If you have/made version dependent then we can achieve as mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks,

Umashankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

the entire hierarchy is time dependent.

Hi Umashankar,

Do you kow how can I remove the node variable that is populated whenever I drill down a node variable, as if it is part of the lowest hierarchy node.

noticed that FRB - NODE if I drill down, there is a master data that is also FRB, its a bit confusing if you are going to choose a node base which is right, need assistance.

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

if you use nodes that are also values of your base char - ie the node is a cost center and the hierarchy is a cost center hierarchy

then you will always see one leave =  node.

in the query you can disable to show "values of booked nodes" when you diasbale this seting, you will see only the node, not the leave.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for your prompt reply. But in the drill down, it is required also to have the lowest level node, I am just wondering, why is there a node at the same time, the same value apears to be the child, if I search G00857 for sample, it appears two values, and its a bit confusing, because if i choose the first one, it has values in the extraction, if i choose the second one, there is no data after extraaction, there is no indicator in analysis office if it is a node or a child.

but other hierarchy doesnt have that kind of drill down... that is why i am confused.

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

since I don´t know your data model and I can´t see your hierarchies, I can´t answer that question.

it could be a value used as node and leaf,

it could be a link node

it could be a compounded characteristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Cornelia for the help. Appreciated it.

umashankar_poojar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

For your Hierarchy Master data object in BEx Query designer, there is a option to display values based on 'Master Data'. Please disable that and keep it as values from InfoProvider OR posted values. Basically other than Master Data, then that master data after root node will not appear.

But your question/issue was to show all hierarchies as drop down? are you able to achieve it OR still not?

Thanks,

Umashankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

it still doubles the value, the hier_node is also part of the child node but it is not a master data because it is just a node.