cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting graphic location to URL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all. I am using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2012 latest version.

My problem is pretty much a carbon copy of this guy's

When I set the location to a URL the report takes an unusually long time to load and then I get the default image. I looked online to possible causes and suspect the proxy might be causing the issue. I tried changing the devenv.exe.config file but that didn't solve the problem. I tried downloading Fiddler to see what was happening but fiddler catches nothing when I run my report. I suspect the proxy because when I set the url of a picture from a local intranet webpage it all works and the picture shows. Same obviously goes for pictures from my desktop. But anything outside of that nadda. My goal is the same as the thread above, to get static google maps on the report.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dino

In the post you reference, Don and I also recommended Fiddler to the OP. Have you been able to do that step?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Ludek,

as I wrote in my post I did install Fiddler and it didn't catch any network activity from the report

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rather strange - not even on report refresh?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

So I clear it before running the report (so it doesn't show me the browser stuff) and as you can see its empty and it stays empty. I haven't really used Fiddler or those types of programs before but if I am getting it any sort of attempt to access the internet should be there?

Now in my report I have a simple OLB object whose graphic location is set to a formula where I wrote the url of a clipart image I  found online just for testing purposes. Also and I don't know if this is important but the report takes an unusally long amount to start, like its trying to find the image but not succeeding but shouldn't Fiddler catch those attempts then? Maybe I am not running it right is there some option I should set?

Also I am not sure what you mean by report refresh? I haven't set the refresh option on the report, but closing it and reopening gives no activity on fiddler.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm - so I did couple of quick tests - using the WPF viewer (which I believe you are using) as well as the win viewer.

Works just fine, quick as could be too.

Can you attach a sample report? Make sure it has saved data as I want to be able to run the report in my app...

To attach, rename the rpt to *.txt, then click on "Use advanced editor" and attach.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok so what I did was go to Main report preview, and the button for Save data in the report was already clicked so i just exported it from there. Hopefully it is what you need (It doesn't have parameters so it's not asking for a user and pass, im guessing this is the reason have no idea really).

Also the olb object is just default white in the bottom right corner of the report. You gotta select it to see it really.

Also theres this formula field that keeps repeating the google maps address. I was doing some testing wanted to see if the formula was correct before so just ignore it, the url is different now anyway and is just a plain picture from the web

http://images.clipartpanda.com/test-clip-art-cpa-school-test.png

This image should be shown when the report is opened if I've done this right.

I created a new simple project, not dataset used at all just picture and graphic location formula, and same issue. Does not change.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm a little lost. I found the OLE object, but there is no link to http://images.clipartpanda.com/test-clip-art-cpa-school-test.png in it's properties (Hyperlink tab). I am not sure how you expect the image to show, if there is no "command" with the OLE object to go to the URL(?).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The URL is in the Graphic Location formula. So right click, format image, picture tab, then the x2 button. What is supposed to happen is when opening the report it should change to the image that is at the URL location. I read that this is how it is done and how you can set static google maps images to appear on your report. I tried it with an internal URL from our network and it worked so I believe it should work for something like static google maps as well or the image url above.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right - sorry. Multitasking... and not very well...

I believe the issue is proxy settings as I get the same problem here. Putting in a simple path to a jpg or what ever works fine. One way to test it would be for you to go to say Starbucks and use their connection. I did that and the report worked fine. More info is in this KBA:

1398962 - Crystal Reports does not display an "Graphics Location" image through a HTTP Proxy Server

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

So you are also using a proxy in your office and the report when running through it doesn't work? The issue for me is that its a desktop computer that I can't take outside unfortunately. So there is no solution for this? Because this link just says that its impossible when running through a proxy (and putting google map static images on our intranet won't really work).

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah - no solution. Other than working with your IT to see if they can get you past the proxy.

I did a quick search of the SAP Idea Place to see if this has been entered as an enhancement but did not find anything at all. If this is a feature you'd like to see, please do consider adding this to the Idea Place.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Uher I posted on the Idea Place so I guess thats all that can be done.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you could post the link here, that would be excellent. That way we advertise the idea a bit to get to that magic 20 votes to get this looked at. And I will tweet it @CRnAnalysisTips.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, been super busy, anyway here is the link:

Allow the report to go through proxy : View Idea

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perfect. Tweeted this morning. We have 4 votes so far - 16 to go

Answers (0)