cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BODS template table issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to create two data flows. one for intial full load and second for daily delta load. the target table is the same template table. These two data flows will not be executed at same time under any circumstances. but BODS does not allow to create same template table in two different data flows. Is there any way out for this?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor

A template table cannot be used for incremental load, because it will always be emptied before inserting any data.

Isn't that a good reason for preventing you from using the same template table twice.

Anyway, if you really need it there's a simple workaround:

1/. Create your first data flow with a template table as a target.

2/. Copy that data flow. The copy will contain the same template table.

3/. (Rename and) modify the copy of the data flow. Make sure you keep the template table, once deleted you cannot re-insert it again and you'll have to start over this whole process again..

jayasree_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,
Isn't the name of the template table will be appended with _1 if we copy and paste it ??

For example:

STG_TEST

will be converted to STG_TEST_1

Please suggest ?

Thanks,

Jayasree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, when you copy the Template table alone the name would be appended with '*_1' as you have mentioned.

But when you replicate the Data flow as a whole the name would remain the same.

Regards,

Bernatsha P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

"A template table cannot be used for incremental load, because it will always be emptied before inserting any data."

The data in Template table is emptied, unless we select the option of delete the data before loading or Drop and Recreate table. Otherwise i think it is possible to load incremental data in Template table.

Note: when the template table is created and during the very first execution you need to have Drop and Recreate table enabled. Later for the next iterations this option can be unchecked and incremental load will run fine.

Please correct me for anything.

Cheers,

Regards,

Bernatsha P

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you're 100% correct. When you uncheck both options Delete data from table before loading and Drop and re-create table, you can run incremental load indeed. I had completely forgotten about that.

Problem is that you loose the advantage of using a template table. You cannot modify the table structure anymore. Your job will fail when you e.g. add a column while having both options unchecked. I I prefer to convert  a template table into a real one, once it exists with its final structure;

former_member559699
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I have scenario to upload/Migrate huge volume of Material Master data into SAP ECC system using BODS with SAP BAPI Function module.

Currently I am migrating data by chunking the data into five parallel different dataflow with different datasets and its working fine.

But in future I want increase the parallel dataflow to improve performance. In order to do that, I am thinking that, Can we use same dataflow (Same DF name) in different jobs with different sets, (Data sets extraction I can control using variables) and Want to execute the jobs at the same time.

Please note that I am not going to template tables (will be using permanent table).

For eg: JOB1 calling DF1 (Variable will extract 1 to 10 records)

JOB2 calling DF1 (Variable will extract 11 to 20 records)

JOB3 calling DF1 (Variable will extract 21 to 30 records)

JOB4 calling DF1 (Variable will extract 31 to 40 records)

JOB5 calling DF1 (Variable will extract 41 to 50 records)

All the jobs need to execute at the same time, is this possible in BODS. Mainly I am worrying about how BODS will work internally (Metadata handling,DF In memory tables creation for each transform.)

Regards,

Yuvaraj M

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swati,

Is there any specific reason behind using a template table for delta loads? Template tables were intended for usage in a single data flow. The main benefit of a template table is that you can change structure of it depending upon the source data. It is better to import the template table into a permanent table after confirming the table structure,.

Best!

Pradeep

Hello,

Template table is basically a perm table in database. if you want to reuse a template table, it is very simple, create another datastore with the same credentials and import the table in to newly created datastore, You can  re-use.

Also Template tables allows incremental loads as well.

Another note, if you create two data-stores, one you use for template tables, you can run initial loads, if you have any adding and deleting columns that are allowed. The next step whenever any change in the template table you re-import the table in to other datastore. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Abdulla Mohammed,

Architect, SAP America,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. You can either Replicate the Dataflow as suggested by Dirk and rename the DF as required. In that case u will have the same Template Table.

a. Create the required Dataflow for the Full load.

b. Replicate the Data flow of Full load and Rename it.

c. Add the necessary delta conditions in the dataflow if any.

2. Please go for a permanent table instead once the table structure has been finalized, by selecting Import table option when you right click the template table in Local object library.

Regards,

Bernatsha P

jayasree_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

I think we can convert that temp table to a physical table and reuse it in other dataflow as well.

first we need to insert a temp table and run the job once, later right click on the temp table and click import it will be converted to physical table.

Assuming it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is beacuse you cant have same table for two different set of data.

First of all why do you require to have same table??

Are the data structures for both the dataflows are same?

Tamplate table is used when you are not sure about the output & everytime you are going to change fields which will be the output to dataflow. because of this template table will be created as per the output columns in dataflow by BODS.

Thanks,

Swapnil