cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Migration Plus Upgrade to ECC6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Im preparing a migration to Linux with consequent SAP Upgrade.

The actual status is:

Operative System: AIX 5.3

SAP: R3 4.7x110

BD: Oracle 10

Target:

Operative System: Linux

SAP: ECC6 EhP7

BD: Oracle 11

My question is, if 4.7 is out of Maintenance should i complete first the Upgrade in AIX and then Migrate or do i have other options?

Thank you all,

João

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

>>My question is, if 4.7 is out of Maintenance should i complete first the Upgrade in AIX and then Migrate or do i have other options?<<

You are planning to upgrade the system to EHP 7. So you should first migrate the system to supported OS and DB for the EHP7 upgrade.

There is a change in the OS (AIX to Linux). So this is a heterogeneous system copy. You will need to do R3load based (export/import) system copy. You can avoid Oracle upgrade to 11G on the source system. Instead you can export the source system using R3load and set up the target system with 11G database on Linux.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is correct, I have done this when moving from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g even with 10g to 11g, it should  works seamlessly.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the ideas.

My path will be like proposed:

First Migrate to from Aix to Linux and the upgrade. Now im just waiting to get from SAP the old sapinst since R3 installation cd´s are not available any more...

Thank once again.

João

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be I'm missing the point here but why to wait for SAP's reply as above.

You can use the latest SWPM SP13 for the same.

Regards,

NK

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

SWPM cannot be used here. You will need to use the old installation media.

Instead of waiting for the reply from SAP check for the installation media - 51043575

https://support.sap.com/software.html - Installations and Upgrades - Search for Software - 51043575

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitin,

I will try and let you know.

Thank you,
João

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

I read the original post day before and replied to new post today so forgot the context. I guess reason is R/3 4.7 which is not supported by SWPM (it supports from 700 onwards) . Is that correct?

Regards,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I already started the export with the old sapinst cd´s.

Thank you for the help,

João

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello João,

Starting point would be PAM definitely. You will need to draft plan for both approaches (1> First upgrade and then migrate OR 2> First migrate and then upgrade) and then decide which one is efficient in terms of efforts and estimates.

Regards,

NK

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joao,

The strategy should be driven by PAM and technical feasibility.

if target OS/DB combination supports your current version of SAP, you are better of doing migration first as migrating first as that would mean you have new hardware which I would assume is better and more robust to support upgrade. You could convert to unicode during migration (however please check PAM and neccessary notes) as unicode conversion involves export and import.

Regards,

Siddhesh

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi João,

My opinion -

1st Update your database from 10 to 11 and AIX to 6.1

Is your R/3 4.7 Unicode ? If not, then:

You should start with 'Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC)'

else

Upgrade your SAP system to EHP7 ECC6.

Perform an OS migration.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

yes, our system is Unicode.

Thatin the present moment that is my idea... First to upgrade and then to migrate...

I was also thinking to arrange the R3 installation cd´s and to the export/import and then upgrade...

Thank you,

João

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can always perform few methods on sandbox systems before deciding which one fits in your requirement and the best.

Also, you can check for about this in system copy guides and service.sap.com/pam on compatibility.

Regards,