Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports upgrade from versions 8/11 to latest version questions

costa-b
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello:

We currently have a Delphi application that uses the Tcrpe VCL component to run CR reports at runtime. We want to upgrade this application to the latest version of Delphi (XE8) and also upgrade Crystal Reports to the latest version. From what I read, Crystal Reports doesn't offer anymore VCL components. I did a small proof of concept app where the reports are now displayed via a .Net app, so I am going to take this path for now.

Having said that, can you please provide some links related to the following topics:

- Upgrade CR reports from older version to the latest. I found this: From Crystal Reports 2008 to SAP Crystal Reports 2013 or SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise - Busine...  from another post, however we don't use BI. We have a lot of rpt files written in CR 8-11 that would have to be tested and eventually upgraded.

- Deployment requirements/runtime dependencies for .Net apps that run CR reports. I found this: http://www.sdn.sap.com/notes?id=0001215826&boj=/sap/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do?access=69765F6D6F6...but this link doesn't work: https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm, I am prompted with a dialog box (see the screenshot below). We need to build a setup that deploys all the dependent dlls, or does SAP such a setup that can be used to deploy the runtime dlls needed to run CR reports.

- Any other suggestions / recommendations?

Also, what are the licensing requirements to deploy such an app? Is there anything that we have to purchase other than the software for designing the reports?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Costa

A bit of a background on where things are now and then a recommendation for going forward.

Currently, there are two supported versions of CR that have the SDK for .NET:

Crystal Reports 2008 (v. 12.x)

SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET (v. 13.x)

Note that neither CR 2011 (v. 14.0.x) nor CR 2013 (v. 14.1.x) install any SDK at all.

I know that the SDK will work fine in Delphi if installed via CR 2008. I do not know about SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET (CRVS). There is an install exe available from here:

and you could try that. Failing the install exe, you could simply run the MSI (URL in above link), see how that works for you in Delphi.

You could possibly go with earlier versions of CR, but all of those are now out of support and may not support new OS. E.g.; CR 11.5 does not support WIN 2012).

As for updating reports. As long as these are not older than version 8.5 you should not need to worry about doing any updates. And for the most part even CR 8.5 reports will be fine.

Deployment would be achieved via MSI or MSM or CLickOnce. For CR 2008 these are available for download from here:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

For CRVS the runtime files are in the same source as the install exe:

More resources

Developer Help Files:

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

The following is a great doc (applies to all versions of CR):

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 Walkthro... | SCN

And lastly, the search box in top right corner will return tons of "stuff" on CR and .NET. I find simple search strings are best. E.g.; Crystal net parameter

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

costa-b
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for the answers. I want to move forward with the versions as much as possible.

One more question. When you say:

I know that the SDK will work fine in Delphi if installed via CR 2008

What did you exactly mean here? Did you mean that that the VCL control might work with the runtime dlls that come with CR 2008?

I plan to develop the code that runs the reports in .Net in the form of a dll whose methods will be invoked from Delphi. I won't use the VCL control anymore.

Thanks again!

costa-b
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello:

One more question. What is the state of the ActiveX control? I just noticed that the latest version of the SDK installed a CrystalActiveXReportViewer and the TCrystalPrintControl. Are these going to be maintainted in the future?

Thank you

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Costa

Both the VCL and ActiveX are dead. The CrystalActiveXReportViewer is installed as we use it in the .NET IDE report designer to preview the reports. You are not licensed to use it in development. I am not sure about the TCrystalPrintControl...

My comment re CR 2008 was meant to explain that the .NET SDK is part of the CR 2008 install (unlike the install of CR 2011 / 2013). There is no VCL. And while there is documentation on possible ways of using the VCL with CR 2008, you really are asking for headaches. In case you are interested in that doc:

Updating the Visual Component Library in Crysta... | SCN

As far as I am concerned, with the above doc I have give you a rope. What you do with it is up to you. I recommend not making a noose with it (e.g.; go .NET or Java)

Oh and one more thing with the VCL. Consider how you are going to deploy the CR runtime; there is no MSI / MSM and xcopy will not work either.

- Ludek

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

costa-b
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information. I converted the code of the application to .Net. And so far so good.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Keeping my fingers crossed

Answers (0)