cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genifix / Current WWI version / Options?

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear all

long ago this discussion took place: http://scn.sap.com/thread/2046722

According to my understanding the WWI environment has been updated so that the old "genifix" option is now supported using WWI. But there are some questions. May be the community can help.

My understanding of the old "genifix" solution is like:

1.) there is a SAP process running in the background which dispatches new released raw reports to the "Genifix" server; mainly this was "label" related

2.) Now if SAP system would be down the Genifix server can still be used to print something. My understanding: the whole design was more or less "label" oriented (but I am not sure about this)

I would like to ask now about the current WWI options. Using the most current WWI version and after proper set up of windows server my understanding is now that you have a WWI related "DMS". This should help to handle "print requests" coming from GLM.

But I still miss kind of "high level" picture on this option. I hope that somebody can help:

Is this WWI archicture only related to "GLM" solution?´and there fore can not be used in context of SDS/MSDS printing (e.g. SAP system is down; raw reports are on WWI server (in local DMS) and the "final" report can still be triggerd (how ??) so that the docuemtn wil get be generated either as RTF or e.g. pdf file

C.B.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

To my knowledge this "WWI DMS" is only used by GLM and therefore only for labels.

Perhaps these two links can help:
Printing of Labels Using Print Requests - Global Label Management (EHS-SAF-GLM) - SAP Library

Manual Print Request Generation - Global Label Management (EHS-SAF-GLM) - SAP Library

Regards

Mark

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

thanks for quick help; but still I would like to drill deeper. The WWI cookbook provides this information:

a.) if you would like to use GLM print processing; you must use WWI DMS

b.) this DMS is used as a cache for "templates" and "print request data"

And here my"trouble" starts. What is the definition of SAP of the term "template"? If we use the "normal" understanding I would expect this: by some SAP process the system detects which WWI template might be needed and dispatches this to the WWI server; But for me still I don't understand the use of the template on WWI server

The "Print request" thing I can follow.

Do you know or can you explain: what is happening with the WWI templates? In my opinion this would work"only" if the template contain only "parameter data"; then the SAP process can pass on the data to WWI server and then on WWI server the template is still there and the data can be mixed up with template and a print stream is generated

The reason of my question is this:

If you take a look on these SAP Notes:

the old genifix process was designed like:

You can start in CG54; you mark a number of reports; then by using an exit you "export" them to GENIFIX server; any update on report will get processed automatic and genifix server will get new version.

My basic understanding now of the Genifix process would be:

a.) either a raw report with data is exported containing substance data

b.) or a raw report is exported not containing substance data but only parameter data in this case the raw report might not even be released)

Then on Genifix server the user can use a kind of user interface to select a label report and enter the missing data (for parameter symbols) and the WWI process is startedt so that you get something what you can print

If this understanding correct than the current WWI version is not a "100%" Genifix solution but contains only partially the Genifix solution

I hope that you can provide here some on top informations.

C.B.

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

I think (and it is more of an educated guess) that template is the wrong statement here - it should be a RAW Report that is stored in the WWI DMS to be able to handle offline print requests.

Since former Genifix Customers are migrating to GLM+ I would think SAP has integrated all necessary functionality from Genefix to GLM.

Kind Regards

Mark

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

you confirmmy assumptions But still regarding one topic I need on top information.

My understanding of the Genifix solution would be, that if the connection SAP <=> Genifix server is lost you can use the genifix server with some user interface to enter the parameter data and then use the WWI process to print something.

And regarding this I found no evidence up to now that GLM+ is providing to us this option (print from WWI server if SAP <=> WWI connection is lost and having the option by some user interface to enter the necessary "parameter data".

C.B.

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

I did not see the new offline print screen as well.

But this link clearly states that offline printing is supported:

Das neue SAP EHSM Modul &quot;Global Label Management (GLM+)&quot; für alle Etikettieraufgaben

" Die neueste Version der SAP EHSM Global Label Management Lösung (GLM+) vereinfacht von der Planung bis zum Druck alle komplexen Etikettieraufgaben - weltweit. Manuell oder Automatisch, zentral und dezentral, Offline und nahtlos integriert in die SAP SCM und EHS Prozesse."

If this topic is of interest for you maybe it is worth watching this espresso web seminar from Michael Skerhut (Main person AFAIK behind the GLM / GLM+ development).

Hope this helps

Mark

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

your link was very helpful. I will check the content of the Web seminar.

C.B:

michael_schmalfeldt2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

it depends on your interpretation of the term "offline". We are a Genifix customer and there is no offline functionality available in GLM+ as it was available in Genifix. For us this is a major disadvantage of the GLM+ solution and we cann't understand why that functionality was not migrated to GLM+.

Kind regards, Michael

gernotditten
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

we're currently in the Go-Live from Genifix to GLM and we fac e the same issue. The original planning to make an UI to connect directly to the WWI Server when SAP is down is obsolete. Instead this should be handled by a Fiori App. There is a prototype available but to work with it some addtional work has to be done. Hence we will do a follow-up Project

Best regards,

Gernot

michael_schmalfeldt2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

the problem with the Fiori App is that you still need a SAP Gateway which the device can connect to. That's what I ment when I was asking about the definition of the term "offline". "Offline" for SAP means the SAP EH&S system is down. "Offline" for us means that e.g. construction workers have damaged the network connection to the the production site and the site does not have any network connection to the outsite world anymore. With Genifix the plant was still able to produce and print labels, with GLM+ that's not possible anymore. And the case that I mention is a real case and not a fictional one...

Kind regards, Michael

gernotditten
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

thank you for the Information. I didn't know that.

Best regards,

Gernot

Answers (0)