Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITSmobile issue - memory related? Please help troubleshoot

rob_smeets2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

In several installations of ITSmobile, I've never encountered the situation that not enough memory seems to be allocated.

However, since my focus (and knowledge) is on the application side (WM) rather than on the BASIS side, I thought I'd ask around here...

I have the issue at one customer that I can no longer start an ITSmobile session (I get an error after logging on). My own web service gives my personalized error page (not much information like requested by the customer) while the standard ITSmobile test services give an HTTP 500 (internal server error) which is only slightly less helpful.

There are no dumps in ST22.

When I look at SITSPMON, I see 0MB available to ITS. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, how can I force more memory available for ITS? We tried restarting the ICM service but that wasn't successful

So, questions are:

- can this 'lack of memory' as shown by SITSPMON be the cause of being unable to login to an ITSmobile service?

- is there a way to give a meaningful error message (I know there must be, but I can't find 'the manual' on this)

- Can I allocate more memory to ITS? (must be possible since in the PRD system there's 4x more memory allocated and there we have no problems

Thanks for any help - and please let me know if you need more info.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

Yes, you are correct. 0MB available for the ITS will prevent new sessions from being started.

As you may already know, SAP note 742048 (Integrated ITS, memory requirement in application server) shows you the calculation of the memory required for the SAP GUI for HTML work properly with a given

number of sessions, languages and web browsers.

I also recommend you reading SAP note 1888428 (Sizing for SAP GUI for HTML). It includes information not only about memory consumption, but about other factors that influence the ITS/WEBGUI use in a system.

Please also verify whether you have the corrections from SAP note 2127955 (SITSPMON: fixed memory footprint calculation) in your system. If not, then please consider implementing it.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Cris

rob_smeets2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cris,

thanks for both replies.

Indeed, the 'non friendly' HTTP error speaks of a memory bottleneck.

I'm implementing the SITSPMON related note, hadn't found it yet.

The numbers have changed dramatically (now it's 0MB of 860MB instead of 0MB of 139 MB) but I guess this doesn't change a lot

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

I have set in my test systems about 1024 MB for em/global_area_MB.

In my system with Personas 3.0 (SP1) installed, I set the value to 2048.

SITSPMON gives you the indication whether the value is ok (or not).

You can also keep a history of the memory consumption ("Memory Trace" tab).

Regards,

Cris

rob_smeets2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cris,

is em/global_area_MB the parameter which governs memory available to ITS? I'll ask them to increase this in the ACC system so we can see if that improves things.

However, I notice that the values reported in SITSPMON before implementing note 2127955 shows the value of em/global_area_mb as total memory value, while the number is changed to something completely different after implementing the note.

Any idea where the new number comes from?

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

Yes, you are correct. em/global_area_MB plays a major rule in the memory available to the ITS. In release 7.40, there was a change in the way SAP manages the memory available. SAP note 2127955 shows the reflex of the new management.

Regards,

Cris

Add note link for #2127955 Message was edited by: Oisin ONidh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Complementary...

You mentioned:

"...

HTTP 500 (internal server error)

..."

Please be sure that you have disable the:

"...

Show friendly HTTP error messages

..."

in IE.

Then you will see a better error message.

If you look at the dev_wXX trace file, you will also see errors related to the memory (WEBGUI - and ITSmobile - errors will appear in lines beginning with "W" - read SAP note 112 for details regarding trace files).

Regards,

Cris