Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied for error log

SybDBA
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Windows 7 x64 bit/ ASE 15.7 Developer edition

I am getting 'Access denied' pop up for dataserver log file while trying to read the file.

While the user having admin rights and all the required permissions over the objects.

Please direct me where I'm wrong.

-----

With kind regards

PKP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As I recall, this was implemented in one of the early ESDs/SPs of ASE 15.7 as a security enhancement to prevent unauthorized users (remember a Windows admin is not necessarily an ASE sa) from learning details of a running ASE process.

You can try selecting from the monErrorLog MDA table to read the errorlog.  The configuration parameters 'errorlog pipe active' and 'errorlog pipe max messages' can be used to control the number of errorlog messages retrieved using this method.

There is also a method of reading the errorlog using CIS that is documented that might be of use:

File access

Also, as this is Windows, have you tried using Windows Event Logging?

Log Error Messages and Events

Chris

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

- Could you try open the dataserver log file with different text editor (notepad, wordpad, ...)?

- if it does not work, could you stop the dataserver and see if you can open the file?

- if it still does not work, could you copy the log file somewhere else and try to open it?

SybDBA
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for reply..

I'm not able to open it using any text editor.

As you said, if server restarts it changes the file permissions again to 'not accessible'.

Third option I haven't tried.

But why I'm not able to access it, that's the unusual thing.

_---

With kind regards

PKP

0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj,

Did you you tried execute the text editor (notepad .. ) explicity
as administrator (right click over the text editor-> run as adminsitrator)then
from the text editor try to open the dataserver log?

If you did not, could you please try?

Thanks

Pedro

SybDBA
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

I am able to do this successfully,

but still that problem is there that, every time when the server restarts it changes the file permissions.

my question is

why that raw method to open log file doesn't work with this ??

Please let me know where the problem is.

---

with kind regards

PKP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds really much like a permission issue.

Perhaps the Windows user you are using need to be part of Windows group for ASE_DBA (I don't know ASE on Windows but I am thinking about the Oracle Windows group such ora_dba).

1) Could you check if there is a Windows group for ASE?

2) Is your Windows user the one used to install ASE? If no, could you login with that user and see if you can open the log file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj,

Did you make progress on that problem?

Regards,

Vincent