cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Nakisa STVN /SOVN the sequence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am planning for complete installation of Nakisa (STVN / SOVN) and need your help to understand the installation sequence.

I also read nakisa related sap notes and respective installation documents from SMP, but still few things are not clear to me.

ERP: eccehp7

NW: 7.4

DB: Oracle 11.2

I have already installed Nakia Add-on 410_740_RF as part ehp7 upgrade.  Now what should i install or only the transports i should import.?

When i checked service market place was confused, that which zip file i should download and whether to install or only the transport import is enough.

can some one pls guide me here..

thanks

Shafir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shafir.

By  "complete installation of Nakisa (STVN/SOVN)" I assume that you are actually referring to OrgChart, OrgAudit, OrgModeler, TeamManager, TalentHub for Employees, TalentHub for Managers and TalentHub for HR & Executives.  They don't all have exactly the same criteria, so first off I'd say start by choosing one of the applications to get up and running.  Don't try to do them all at once.

Most organisations typically start with SOVN OrgChart and this would be the starting point I would recommend.

First of all you need to get your serial file.

Next download your software.  You have some screen shots above showing details for 4.1, 4.1 SP1 and 4.1 SP2.  However the latest release on SAP Service Marketplace is 4.3 SP1.  I would suggest you download the apps for 4.3 SP1 and any that aren't available for SP1 download the 4.3 version.  Where a download has SAP Org/SAP Talent in it, it includes both SOVN and STVN apps.

Once downloaded, unpack it and install the ABAP add-on and the transport.  The transport also requires an additional step now to create unique names for objects.  I know you said that you've read the installation documents, but you really need to read them carefully as they really will guide you through the set-up process.  Having a quick list of pointers here would never replace that.

Once your ABAP add-on and transport are in place, install your chosen app onto your NetWeaver. server.  If you are installing multiple apps to the same NetWeaver instance, please take care to give the server enough memory and processing resources to run all of the systems in parallel.  Nakisa did offer a capacity planning document with 4.0 (I think) that gives some high level guidance on what a VSN app requires.

I'll assume you are installing OrgChart and if so once it is installed into NetWeaver then your next step is configuration.  Other apps may require additional steps such as setting up things like iDoc, Business Functions, etc.  The details are in the guides and once again you should refer back to them at every opportunity to follow what is required for a particular app deployment.

Next you need to configure the app in AdminConsole.  This will involve selecting a base build (OrgChart for example has a live and a staged to choose from) as the starting point for your own.

From this work through the configuration to create an out of the box build to prove that the system is in essence functioning as expected.  From that point on, your customising and tailoring that particular app for the organisation's own use.

Once you have one app working, you will find that many of the steps are identical or at least similar, but each one can have it's own pre-requisites and set-up steps.  The deployment and admin guides are your de facto reference for this.  All you need to do is perhaps come up with a suitable order in which to tackle the apps ... but maybe the end user user stake holders could help you with that?

That's my quick summary of what I think you should consider doing.  I'm sure there are other equally valid approaches, but I think you're always going to come to the conclusion that you should get your licence file requested, download the software, install the back end components and then install and configure each app one at a time taking note of any specific set-up requirements it might have.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your detailed explanation, can you please make me clear on the few below.

1.  Already we have installed Nakisa 4.1 (STVN/STON) Add-On as part of EHP7 upgrade in backend system.

2. Should i proceed as upgrade or another add-on installation of Latest Nakisa 4.3 using SPAM tool. ? since 4.1 version is already exists in Backend system.

3. Regarding OOTB method, should i build first in Develeopment system (Where i have ECC          EHP7/NW7.4).

Or

Should i try build in sandbox. ?

Thanks

Shafir

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shafir.

1 / 2 - If you are upgrading an existing backend component to a new version then it will indeed be an upgrade process.

3 - you should build wherever you wish to.  As long as you have NetWeaver and SAP you can set-up wherever and however you choose.  That's more a local process point than a Nakisa installation requirement.  I've worked on systems that have started in a sand box and in development.  I've started several times on a QA NetWeaver server but with a build pointing to DEV and maybe on one occasion all in on QA.  What matters is that for the back end components you follow the organisation's processes for moving components between all environments.  You don't want to back yourself into a corner by trying to skip ahead or missing any parallel system push-outs.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

thanks for your prompt reply.

Need some clarification on the below.

Now we have Nakisa 4.1 version installed in ECC 6.0EH7, if i want to upgrade to 4.3. should i installed 4.3 SP01 (Which is latest) AddOn directly in ECC or should i follow below sequence.

Current version 4.1 > First install - 4.1 SP01 then install SP02 then 4.3 SP01

Thanks

Shafir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Need some clarification on the below.

Now we have Nakisa 4.1 version installed in ECC 6.0EH7, if i want to upgrade to 4.3. should i installed 4.3 SP01 (Which is latest) AddOn directly in ECC or should i follow below sequence.

Current version 4.1 > First install - 4.1 SP01 then install SP02 then 4.3 SP01

Confused with the below standard naksia installation guide:

Thanks

Shafir

Former Member
0 Kudos
StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good question and I agree it isn't exactly clear from the example if your situation matches that case.  Is a service pack classed as a version for these purposes?  Does a version count any time there is an updated version of the add-on released?

I think you have two realistic options you could pursue.

1. You could raise an OSS to confirm if you need to do this - and end up doing either method.
  2. You could go ahead and do the incremental "step-up" updates.

Option 1 may save you effort (or it may add a little).

Option 2 would save you time if you were ready and able to do this now.

There have been issues in the past with skipping over add-on versions and I think they can be a little painful to resolve.  Applying incremental updates or starting with a fresh install ensures that you have exactly what you need in place and I think they work on the basis of lowest level of risk.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your input.

I am planning to go for option 2 - the incremental "step-up" updates.  But here as per the download package few of the zip files not having .PAT (AddOn installation files), i can only see TR (cofiles/data).  That means only importing cofile/data is enough if the .PAT files not available, correct me if i am wrong.

By the way, do we need license / serial file for configuring nakisa in development environment ?

Thanks

Shafir

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shafir.

Yes - after all you can only install what is available and not every release will update everything - i.e. not every service pack for example updates the Nakisa ABAP add-on.

You will need a licence file for configuring Nakisa apps in any environment.  That's why requesting one is always the first step.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

I have installed and configured Nakisa VSN 4.3 SP1.

During OrcChart configuration, i am unable to view Organization Structure view in default.jsp

I have also checked the below link and followed the instruction for OrgChart, but i am stuck up here in Org Chart and Chart Book Template configuration.

Step by Step Org Chart Configuration Guide for NAKISA 4.0

Need your suggestions and help to move forward.

Thanks

shafir

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shafir.

I can see you have asked the same question on a separate discussion thread (the correct approach).  I've added some suggestions in there.

Presumably this means you have now resolved the original "How to install Nakisa STVN /SOVN the sequence" question.  If that is the case please mark/close the thread appropriately.

Regards,

Stephen.

Answers (0)