cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWI_GENPC is Failing even the WWI_GENPC service is Started

Former Member
0 Kudos

WWI_GENPC RFC connection is failing even the WWI_GENPC service is in "started" status. So we have to restart the service in CGSADM and activated the SV001 WWI job in CG5Z to fix the issue.

We couldn't find any related logs in the server. What might be the possible cause of RFC failing? Is it related with the network?

I attached the screenshots related in this issue.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Jerome,

we recently had WWI RFC failure because the SAP instance TRFC gateway was overloaded with IDOCS.

But true, anything in between the SAP instance and the Windows box could interfere (in random order: the operating system (recent patch for example), firewall, routers, CPU overload on either end, ...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. How can we check if the TRFC gateway was overloaded? Does it mean, when it happened, it could affect the RFC connection?

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jerome

as this thread is linked to

could you please kindly answer these questions:

1.) you have a number of WWI servers up and running. If this assumption is correct: is there only a problem with WWI_GENPC server?

2.) second: is the problem still only happening on the "friday" as you have mentioned?

Normally the RFC connection is quite stable. You have "only" these reasons why something could happen

a.) on SAP side may be there is a downtime etc.

b.) the RFC conneciton get lost because of connectivity problems

c.) on WWI server e.g. a "boot" is done; a recovey process runs etc. so that "windows" is rebooted (and therefore WWI process is killed)

On SAP side you have only limited options to "log" the RFC connections (according to my knowledge); on WWI side you can change WWI set up with full logging; this should not be done on regular basis and not for "prod"system; but it is an option;

C.B.

0 Kudos

SM58 shows the TRFC ... but keep in mind that is only one of many leads possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B.

Please see below:

1.) you have a number of WWI servers up and running. If this assumption is correct: is there only a problem with WWI_GENPC server? - There's no problem with WWI_GENPC server. The issue we're seeing here is only the connection of RFC connection.

2.) second: is the problem still only happening on the "friday" as you have mentioned? - The latest issue was happened on Wednesday. I'm not sure if there's a limit on the reports generated and once it reached the limit, the connection will be lost and should be refreshed. I don't know if there's such a behavior of WWI.

a.) on SAP side may be there is a downtime etc. - Not possible as the system is Production.

b.) the RFC conneciton get lost because of connectivity problems - This is what we're still looking. What are the angles should look into.

c.) on WWI server e.g. a "boot" is done; a recovey process runs etc. so that "windows" is rebooted (and therefore WWI process is killed) - There's no logs shows that the server was rebooted.

On WWI side you can change WWI set up with full logging; this should not be done on regular basis and not for "prod"system; but it is an option; - Full logging will only be activated during the month long since we're having issues. If we found the root cause, we'll deactivate the full logging.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked SM58 but unfortunately,  Nothing was selected result. But thanks for the help.

Thanks!

Jerome

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jerome Gumarang wrote:

2.) second: is the problem still only happening on the "friday" as you have mentioned? - The latest issue was happened on Wednesday. I'm not sure if there's a limit on the reports generated and once it reached the limit, the connection will be lost and should be refreshed. I don't know if there's such a behavior of WWI.

WWI is restarted after X generation requests. Please see 1240591 - EH&S WWI: WWI server terminates if errors occur

"By default, the WWI server is now restarted every 1000 or 10000 generations. You can configure this value with the RestartServer parameter in the [Global] section of the WWI.ini file.

In the log, you receive the message "Restart Server after more than 1000 requests" or the message specified in symptom 3 is displayed. Ensure that EhsStart or EH&S management server (EhsManSrv) is configured to monitor the WWI services. To deactivate the automatic restarts, set in the [Global] section of the WWI.INI:

RestartServer=0"

But if that would be the case you should be able to see that the WWI Server is restarting in the Windows Event Logs before your RFC issue appears!

Jerome Gumarang wrote:

b.) the RFC conneciton get lost because of connectivity problems - This is what we're still looking. What are the angles should look into.

Did you enable the RFC trace as well?

See  1242058 - EH&S WWI: Deactivating the RFC traces   on how to enable the WWI RFC trace.

(Monitor the amount of data written by the RFC trace closely - it might be quite a lot and could fill up the HDs of your server)

Hope this helps

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I'm looking for the RestartServer=0 parameter in WWI.ini but I didn't find it. I'm attaching the WWI_GENPC log and please advise if you could find that the WWI_GENPC is restarting every 1000 or 10000 generations.

WWI RFC trace isn't enabled yet. But if the issue occurs, I'll enable it since it requires the EH&S Administration Management Server service is stop so I could amend the SAPRFC.ini.

Thanks!

Jerome

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

many thanks for the OSS note. This is a very nice OSS note and the use is very interesting for daily business to get some idea about issues in the "RFC" connection. (if needed)

Do you have practical experience in using the log? According to OSS note on WWI server these files are imost cases always created/update if needed: dev_rfc.trc, dev_rfc.trc.log

I did not check yet on our WWI servers the content of the logfile: but do you know: is the structure "straighforward"? That means after you have read them it is "clear" why the RFC connection get lost?

C.B.

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Jerome,

I found this in your log:

07/08/15 15:58:46 Start Function 'WWI_GENERATE_AND_IMPORT2'

License check: I000 EH&S License verified.

Elapsed time : 3.1 sec.

WWI stopped at: 07/08/15 15:59:55

Program exit !

WWI started at: 07/08/15 16:00:02 as PID: 5012

Initialisation........start

Working dir is: D:\EHS\WWI

Current PATH is: C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\EHS\WWI

Attaching service to desktop winsta0 / default

Registering this Server at the SAP-Gateway

calling RfcAccept (RFC-Handle = 1)

Installing RFC-Functions

Installing function 'WWI_GENERATE_AND_IMPORT2'

Installing function 'WWI_COMPRESS_FILE'

Installing function 'WWI_UNCOMPRESS_FILE'

Installing function 'WWI_GENERATE_LABEL'

Installing function 'WWI_GET_PRINTERS'

Installing function 'WWI_SERVER_EXIT'

Installing function 'WWI_SERVER_INFO'

Installing function 'WWI_CONVERT_TO_PS'

Initialisation done

Server ready for requests !!!

Elapsed time : 0.1 sec.

07/08/15 16:01:57 Start Function 'WWI_GENERATE_AND_IMPORT2'

Elapsed time : 12.0 sec.

Which look like the WWI Server encountered an error - why I don't know from this log.

And then an hour  and twenty minutes later the service was started again. Without indication that is was stopped or down.

Elapsed time : 2.8 sec.

07/08/15 16:34:43 Start Function 'WWI_GENERATE_AND_IMPORT2'

WWI started at: 07/08/15 17:19:58 as PID: 5244

Working dir is: D:\EHS\WWI

Current PATH is: C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\EHS\WWI

Attaching service to desktop winsta0 / default

Registering this Server at the SAP-Gateway

calling RfcAccept (RFC-Handle = 1)

So I'm wondering what happend between 16:34:43 and 17:19:58?

Kind Regards

Mark

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

do you know if:

Elapsed time : 3.1 sec.

WWI stopped at: 07/08/15 15:59:55

Program exit !

WWI started at: 07/08/15 16:00:02 as PID: 5012

indicates that the "automatic" restart was done? How does the log should look like if the "restart" is initiated (after x generation actions)?

In any case: I would expect that if full logging on WI server would be activated that one should know the reason of thes "Exit" action; or do you have different understanding?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

That's the log when we restarted the service to renew the connection.

We just changed the logtofile parameter from 1 to 5 to ensure that the level of logs will be more accurate.

Thanks!

Jerome