cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an alert if job has not started

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a job that runs every 5 minutes in cps. I have had times when the job has not started when it should and does not start until late, due to system issues or something. I would like to know, is there something I can setup to have it alert me, when this job hasn't started within 15 minutes from the 5 minutes Submit frame I am using now?  Thanks in advance for any sugguestion if this is possible.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

I had similar issues. If you have alerting module it is easier.

In these cases, the job actually gets stuck in "Assigned" or "Held". So i would recommend create a job alert source for assigned status and set delay as 2 minute and one for Held status.

If you do not have alerting module, probably a trigger will help.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the reply. This job does not get stuck in Assigned or Held, they just sometimes seem to just not start on time, on the Every 5 minutes intervals we set it to. They do finally run and complete, but sometime not until above 20 minutes to 30 minutes later. This does not happen often. We have been told, this is due to on some days, it is the load or amount of jobs running on the system at that time. Which is fine, but on the days this does happen, we would like to be alerted via an e-mail.

Hopefully you have come across this type of scenerio. Let me know if I provide any other information that would help.  The alerting module we use is the Redwood CPS

The alerting module we use in the Redwood CPS Build: M33.116-80989. Hope that helps.

Rick

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case setup the maximum run time limit on the job definition and alert using the adhoc alert source.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use maximum run time limits for other jobs now, but that is used, if a job that is currently running, runs longer then the time limit we set. You saying this can always be used/setup, to alert for a job that does not even start to run at it's scheduled start time? I looked at it, but not sure how to set something like that on a max run time. What do you think?

Thanks

Rick

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your next job is delayed, because your current job is running longer than usual.

If this is the condition always, then

1. Create an
  2. set a maximum run time limit of 5 minutes, and raise the ad hoc alert source to send the email. You can customize the email to say, that the run is delayed.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

This issue we are having is not caused by any current job still running that would hold up the next 5 minutes scheduled occurrence. The next scheduled occurrence, just does not start within the 5 minutes submit frame it is set to, because of different reasons on the system. All previous current runs have finish ok. This is not a daily or weekly issue, but just something that does happen to hold up one of the occurrences and places a backlog. So when the system delays our job and it does not start at least 15 minutes past the 5 minute submit frame, we would like to be alerted of it.

I just cannot find a way to create an alert that would work to alert only if a job has not started on time.

Hoping you still have some more idea's or suggestion. Thanks for all you have provides so far.

Rick