cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO upgrade from 6.1.A to 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm preparing BO server upgrade from 6.1.A to 4.1 and I'm looking for some best practices how to do that...

I have 300 reports, some is on-demand, some is scheduled, FreeHand SQL and some are using VBA scripts. Currently I don't know to do with VBA scripts. Will it be migrated also or not?

Steps in general:

1) Upgrade to version BO XI R2 SP2

2) Migrate all content from 6.1.A to XI

3) Install a new server BO 4.1

4) Migrate all content from XI

What is the best way to migrate from 6.1.A to XI is to install a new separeted server and then migrate the content? Or is it better to upgrade existing BO to higher version on the same machine?

So if you have some experience with this please can you share your tips with me?

Thank you a lot... icon_smile.gif

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mhf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

maybe this blog helps you: Migrating to SAP BI 4.1 from BusinessObjects En... | SCN

BR,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

great article... Thank you.

Regards,

Martin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, my 2 cents about your items:

First of all, you might want to land on a XI3 sand box, in order to operate on a platform closer to BI4.x (moving from BO6.x to XIr3 is a supported path).

Once on it, consider the following project streams:

1. migration loops

2. security migration

3. Full Client report conversion

1. (I will be brief on it). Arrange more than a migration loop (i.e. moving from 5.x to XIr3 and XIr3 to BI4) in order to let your customer work while you migrate, as it will not be a "zero time" upgrade

2. depending on migration white papers, security had to be lost and redesigned from scratch. Well, this is not totally true. Indeed it is more convenient if you have a few users. But if you have hundreds or thousands of users get back with this and I'll go into deeper details

3. report conversion (the key point of your question). In 5.1.x you had .rep reports (the vast majority) and .wqy reports (former webintelligence reports, whene WebIntelligence was THE server layer).

>>.REP: these may reside both on server personal folders (no problem on rescuing them) or on end users' desktops (in this case, ask them to move them to webi's personal folders, unless they want to lose them forever).

- VBA scripts. You are not going to migrate them, as full client reports will be converted to .WID format in BI4, that does not support VBA. You should work out what kind of actions they were implementing and try to match them with today's. You will find a lots of matches. Those that do not match, well. Get back here and you will surely find someone who faced similar problems

- free hand SQL. Conversion tool creates a on table universe for any single free hand sql. So consider putting some order beforehand, so to avoid useless universes proliferation

- report conversion: collect full client reports by sort, so to work out conversion problem classes that arise from any single sort. This will help you calculating a thorough estimate of the needed effort.

>> .WQY: they almost seamlessly translate to .WID format

>> All formats:

custom hierarchies (this could be a problem, please check). I cannot remember whether they were still supported in BOE6.1 (end user had the possibility of creating his own drill path, regardless the hierarchy definition at universe level). Probably not. In case they were, consider identifying them and implement them at universe level BEFORE migrating, otherwise you will lose some of the drill paths.

My 2 €cents

Claudio

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

6.1.a is sooo old , I'm not sure it's possible to go to XIR2 directly.
Then if your end goal is 4.1 -- you'll need to convert all your reports from Deski to Webi, as you can't view deski in 4.1 (only with Xi3.1 Sp7+ client)

It will be easier to re-design your reports in 4.1 directly at this point.

But if you like challenge - install XIR2 either on same as your 6.1 or new machine.
See if import wizard connects to your 6.1.a and import reports there.

Then install 4. on a new server properly sized for it. See sizing here :

And then import from R2 and convert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Denis,

you can go directly to XIR2. But problem is that XI R2 (SP2) is not avalaible on SAP Market Place. 😞

Do you have any idea how to get it?

BR,

Martin

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that is because XIR2 is out of support for years now. See if you can get it from Archives section or by contacting CIC....

Xi3.1 can connect to 6.x I think, but probably not 6.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have it? 🙂

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, I don't

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Martin,

Login to SMP. Click on Software Downloads -> Support Packages and Patches -> Archieve- > SBOP BI plarform -> SBOP BI PLATFORM (BI ENTERPRISE), you should see the download for 6.5, XI, 3.0, R2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes! I have it. I see it only under different S* user, but it doesn't matter.

Thanks.

BR,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eh.. no. There is no SP2 installation. Only SP4 and I cannot install it without SP2. 😕