cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal 8.5 and XI in same VB6 app

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to have references for both 8.5 and 11 in the same VB6 app?  I have many reports in 8.5 but only 1 report in v11 because of barcodes.  I was using v11 references for CRAXDDRT but some of my 8.5 reports would not export.  I had to revert to 8.5 references but this one barcode report is not working anymore.

Is there any way that I can have both coexist.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan

No it is not. But CR 11 runtime should be able to run version 8.5 reports. Perhaps if you give us a few more details re:

I had to revert to 8.5 references but this one barcode report is not working anymore.

we can help. E.g.; define "not working". Errors? Behavior? Symptom?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

The barcode report was designed in Crystal XI.  I had upgraded the references in VB6 to v11 ActiveX Designer Design, and Run Time, libraries specifically for this report.

Most of my v8.5 reports work fine since they are only being displayed or printed.  However some reports needed to be exported to PDF and Excel.  The problem with exporting to Excel in v11 is that the Excel files contain merged cells which doesn't occur in v8.5.  I couldn't allow the merged cells so I reverted the references back to 8.5 so the Excel exports will work properly.

However, now my v11 barcode report won't run.  I get an "Invalid TLV" error when using v8.5 CRAXDDRT to Open the report.  I understand the reasoning.  i'm just looking to see if there is a way to execute both report versions without the export errors I mentioned above or the Invalid TLV error.

I don't think I can win either way in this.

Let me know if there is a way around it.

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan

Two comments:

1) I'd really, really like you to update your CR 11 install to CR 11.5 (also referred to as CR XI R2). You can do this by following the instructions in this blog:

2) Do not sue craxddrt.dll. More than likely you are not licensed to use this dll (unless you obtained extra licensing that was required for this). Use the craxdrt.dll.

Once you have done the above, see how things go. The exporting to PDF was hugely improved in CR XI R2 (particularly for PDF), though I do not like the Invalid TLV error - but for now, I'd like to set it aside, do the updates and cross the TLV bridge when we get to it.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

In order to get my issue solved, I went ahead and created a separate VB6 program using v11.5 references.  When printing crystal xi reports, I will shell out to this program to print my barcode report.

Regarding Crystal XI exports, I cannot have the Excel exports contain merge fields, that's why 8.5 is better.

Thanks for your help.

Answers (0)