cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Certification Expiration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I recently got a mail from from SAP Credential Manager, telling my certification has expired. How can it expire after spending so much money on it, I did not even get a warning mail just got after it expired. What should i do? I find this practise very unfair. I was even informed that it would not expire ever it was for life time.

See the mail attached .. There is no customer support mail also .

Dear Junaid Hussain Farooqui

Your Account has been changed for the following Certificate:    

C_TAW12_70 Development Associate - ABAP with SAP NetWeaver 7.0

•     Candidate Name: Junaid Hussain Farooqui
  •     Retired
  •     You are Certified since: 10/29/2010
  •     Status change Date:  07/20/2015
  •    Expiration Date: 07/20/2015
  •    UserID:  s00***********

You may also log into SAP Credential Manager to access your certification information.
Should you have any questions, please submit your request via Support Request within SAP Credential Manager.

Please, visit our Training Shop: http://training.sap.com/Certification .

Thank you,

Your SAP Global Certification Team

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. I work in the Global Education team and will hopefully be able to answer some of your questions here. I'll also try and answer any specific questions above via a direct response to your post

The reason SAP retire exams is because SAP need to ensure that all valid certifications reflect that an individual has up-to-date knowledge and skills. Exams which no longer test current knowledge will expire/retire regularly. This doesn't mean that you no longer have this certificate or qualification - you will always have that certificate - but it means that the certification is no longer considered to be on a valid, up to date release of that software.

To give an example, we publish lists of Global partners and how many certified resources they have in certain areas. You can see these here: https://training.sap.com/shop/certification/

To make this relevant to organizations looking to use these partners, they need to know the skills they have are up to date. So we only use current, valid exams in these figures. Again as an example, Business Warehousing has changed hugely in the last ten years so there needs to be a way of differentiating people with current certifications and those with outdated ones.

I hope that helps clarify some of the questions people have here. If you have further questions, the best place to ask them is via Credential Manager which all certified people should have access to. Details of Credential Manager can be found via the link posted above as well.

Many thanks

Rob

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob,

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds perfectly reasonable.

cheers

Paul

biju_john
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI Rob,

In the Specific case of  "C_TAW12_70 Development Associate - ABAP with SAP NetWeaver 7.0"

i feel it is pretty much unreasonable .  I have been a trainer for abap for the last 5 years i have taken the versions

C_TAW12_70  as well as  C_TAW12_731 there s no difference in the content apart from rearranging the lessons in TAW10_2 , TAW12_1 and TAW12_2   . In fact some of the content like internationalization , Sap Notes etc which was there in  C_TAW12_70 have been removed in newer versions. so the fact that knowledge is not up to date does not hold true in this case.

Maybe while Retiring certificates sap has to consider it based on a Module vise basis  , Rather than considering the Netweaver Version.

Regards

Biju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biju

Thanks for your reply. I checked briefly with an ABAP expert and they confirmed there are changes between the _70 exam and the latest _740 exam, however I will pass your feedback on to the certification team.

Thanks

Rob

biju_john
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thanks for passing the feedback. You are right Regarding the exam in Latest_740 exam there is more focus on Wedynpro and Object Oriented Programming, but the old_70 exam very few questions were asked from those areas .The Course content Has remained unchanged while the exam pattern has changed.

Regards

Biju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information, My credential Manager is not login. I have been trying to access it. It tells my email id is not registered. How do i raise my question there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Junaid

If the help instructions on the Credential Manager login page don't solve your issue, please email credential-manager@sap.com

Many thanks

Rob

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I know I won't be much of a help here, but I was surprised too about this "Retired" status which I got today.

Unfortunately the SAP Credential Manager writes the following:

"Exams which no longer test current knowledge are retired regularly and usually become invalid 12 months after their retirement.

Valid certifications normally reflect the latest 2 or 3 software releases."

I have to admit, the topic of my exam is/was old too.

I have searched on training.sap.com for C_TAW12_70 and no results were found. Unfortunately this reflects the concept of "Certification Retirement" too.

I know I couldn't provide any solutions here, but I hope I could at least give some context about the problem.

Best regards,

Laszlo

harshil_shah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Laszlo,

I hope this does not impact on the validity of our S-User ID. Currently, I am able to use my S-User ID to access various SAP Portals but it's status also shows expired.

Does it mean the validity of S-User ID is also not going to last any longer?

Warm Regards,

Harshil Shah.

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harshil,

the certification should not affect the S-User IDs.

The reason is that there are several S-Users who do not have any certifications, yet they can fully use their S-account (or the status of their S-account is being changed independently of any certification results).

Also, the certification is "just" an addition, which should not do anything to the main account.

(For example: I can't imagine an S-User ID will be closed with the reason "Your knowledge is too old". It sounds more comical than serious... )

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Laszlo,

I do not think TAW12_70 is obsolete it is still available in SAP Training course. Please find the link for reference. I suspect it may be due to no activity on our account and they have assumed we are not working in ABAP domain any more.

https://training.sap.com/shop/course/taw12-abap-workbench-concepts-classroom-015-in-en/

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Junaid,

I see that TAW12_70 / TAW12 cover the same topic but it seems they are handled independently:

SAP Training and Certification Shop

C_TAW12_70 does not exist anymore, only C_TAW12_731 and C_TAW12_740.

If I understand correctly (as I am not from the Training / Certification), these certifications are not the same, therefore C_TAW12_70 has been "retired".

Best regards,

Laszlo

harshil_shah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

@Laszlo: I completely agree with you.

@Junaid: SAP constantly changes its curicullum and course for the certification exam. If you check in detail, the Netweaver version during your exam was 7.0 whereas the latest one which is ongoing is 7.4. This can definitely bring some changes to the course structure. In fact, few of my colleagues who appeared for certification later than me did not have some topics which I had in my TAW books.

Warm Regards,

Harshil Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laszlo,

Please find the Training curriculum which was shared with me during training. I do suspect what you are saying is correct, Netweaver has been updated.

Even I am very confused with all this at least SAP should have informed us why they are retiring our ID's. I find this whole mess completely unfair and uncalled for.

Regards.

Junaid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We are sailing in the same boat. Another parallel thread is running with similar issue of 'Certification Validity'. From this thread,what I understood is despite the expiration of certification, S user ID would continue to stay and you can use it as usual.

For more details, please go though the following thread and browse through the comments by Jurgen L and Ravi shankar Venna.

Thanks,

Ravi

Peranandam
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am also certified in C_TAW12_70 Development Associate - ABAP with SAP NetWeaver 7.0 and got Retired notification. I have raised Support request and got below response from SAP.

• 2015-07-21 03:32:07.2

• Certification changed to "RETIRED' status

• s000xxxxxxxX

Dear Sir or Madam, the expiration and retirement Strategy was announced in 2013. Please see our Blog: http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2013/07/09/answering-some-of-... . We also have placed since the beginning of SAP Credential Manager 2 hints here about expirations and retirements. 1st is on your Home-Page and the 2nd on your "My Certificates" Kind regards, Your SAP Global Certification Team

Does anybody have idea where to find list of delta exam available in order to retain my certificate validity.

thanks

Regards,

Peranandam

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should do the latest version (just released, so it will be valid for many years to come): C_TAW12_74.

If you achieved the earlier certification and have kept your skills up to date, you shouldn't have too much trouble passing it. The content has not changed that much (but there is more of an emphasis on WebDynpro).

cheers

Paul

Peranandam
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

As mentioned in the blog http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2014/12/18/exciting-upcoming-... taking delta exam is enough for Certification who already completed. Hence no need to take up C_TAW12_74

I have not got any notification in advance stating that your Certification will be 'RETIRED' and you need to take up delta exam to retail certification validity. SAP could have been informed to the all the Certified associates about delta exam and 'RETIRED' status change. So that we could have taken up delta exam periodically.

My question is How to find list of delta exam available for Certified Associates? in order to retail validity.

Regards,

Peranandam

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah, sorry I misread your question.

I've actually never heard of delta exams, only delta courses.

I just did a quick search on SAP Education Australia, and no delta exams were listed! So maybe this concept was just a good idea at the time, but has not been (fully) implemented.

cheers

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

The validity of certification depends on when someone has done and it and when SAP made the course available, I have friends who have done TAW12_70 in 2012 as per the  policies It will be retired in less than 3 years.

Passing an certification is not an issue but the cost involved with it is huge. Cost almost 6,300 USD (4,00,000 INR) to get it from SAP India.

Regards

Junaid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Perananda,

What do they mean they placed 2 hints on the credential Manager. They could have just dropped a mail like they did when it expired. I never logged into credential manager. How will i get to know.

Regards.

Junaid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harshil,

I do agree with every update SAP adds new functionality and they will need to update there study material, but that does not mean what we have been certified is Invalid I don't think that  there is such a drastic step from 7.0 to 7.4 that programming syntax has changed that warrants us to re learn the entire programming language. The T code to have remained same. I for one find this forceful retirement unfair. They should have at least informed us by mail.

Regards

Junaid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peranandam

For info, the blog you reference is actually talking about our cloud certifications. So looking at Success Factors and SAP Cloud for Customer at the present time. There will be delta certifications available in these areas to ensure skills are up to date as cloud products change so quickly.

For 'standard' SAP certifications there are no plans to bring in delta certifications as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harshil

I can confirm that retirement of exams has no impact on S User validity.

Thanks

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I too even got a similar mail and I too did from Siemens.A bit nervous and tensed.Hope something positive comes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Even I received the notification.

I dont understand what SAP meant with this expiration.

Will wait for something positive.

Rgds

Shaan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you let me know from where you did your certification.. I did mine from Siemens IT Solutions & Services Pvt Ltd from Bangalore. They have shut shop and sold there business to ATOS. I don't know who to contact

harshil_shah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Junaid,

I also got the same email yesterday with the same information that my ABAP certification has retired. It is not even four years before I completed my ABAP Certification. I was under the impression that my certificate will be valid for a long duration. However, this is not the case. I also feel it is unfair from SAP to retire my certificate without giving any reason. I would like to have my certificate back.

Could anyone explain us how do we get this issue resolved?

Warm Regards,

Harshil Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you let me know from where you did your certification.. I did mine from Siemens IT Solutions & Services Pvt Ltd from Bangalore. They have shut shop and sold there business to ATOS. I don't know who to contact

harshil_shah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Junaid,

I had done my ABAP Certification from Genovate Solutions, Mumbai. However, my S-User ID is registered from Banglore.

I will prefer waiting from few more days until someone give us a reply on this forum regarding this issue. Later, I will contact Genovate Solutions.

Warm Regards,

Harshil Shah.