Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User interactive filters in CR 2013

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have requirement to create filters for the user to select Top N/Bottom N records on the selected measures from drop down.

Being worked with Crystal reports before and understand the tool limitation but still posting to look at the suggestions.

if no work around then is it possible to provide parameter option user to select "TopN/Bottom N  and Measure prompts" after initial refresh run ?.

Like User can refresh report with FY/Period first time and then later if they want to filter, then they can see Top&Bottom N / measure prompts to select.

Crystal reports 2013 on HANA/BEX query

Thanks,

Jothi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any suggestions please?.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jyothi,

Assuming you have a prompt for measures (with a list of measures as its values) and also a Top N prompt to specify the value of 'N', you could see if this works:

1) Create a formula with this code:

Select {?Measure_prompt}

Case "Measure1" :{table.Measure1}

Case "Measure2" :{table.Measure2}

Default :{table.Measure1};

2) Go to Insert Summary and insert a summary on this formula field with the 'Sum' function.

3) Go to the Group Sort Expert and sort 'based on this formula field'

4) Click the formula button beside 'Top N' and use the top n prompt to specify the value of N.

I see that you also need 'Bottom N which is gong to be a different approach and uses a Command Object. Read through Jamie's blog here:

-Abhilash

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick reply Abhilash,

User don't want to see these 2 prompts on first refresh. they wanted to select the values of TopN/Bottom N and measures after initial refresh of the report.

Just like in WebI , where user has ability to select values from drop down Menu.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Jothi

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR still has a lot of catching up to do in terms of true interactivity. I wish something like this existed.

Try WebElements; that is the closest you can get to.

-Abhilash

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

How can I do those?. Also, is there a way to show "All" records for the prompts before they select specific value for the Top N/Bottom N records?.

Thanks,

Jothi

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have a look at this for more info on WebElements:

-Abhilash

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At least one of the 3rd-party Crystal Reports Viewers listed at Crystal Reports Viewers, Schedulers and Related Products provides enhanced interactivity by allowing users to change parameters or formula values via clicks on report objects.

For video demos of such options in my DataLink Viewer software, see:

Click a Parameter to Change It
Click to Change View/Group
Group Swap Expert

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ido and Abhilash,

Do we have a latest version of Web Element software to download for Crystal reports 2013 and Enterprise?.

Hope software free

Does the installation need to be done at BOE server level?. we are currently on BO4.1 SP5 or Can I just do installation on my local machine?.

Also, does the user need to have access rights or security issues while running the reports embedded with Web Elements?.

Any sample reports or steps to integrate them into Crystal reports?. Please suggest.

Thanks,

Jothi

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello Jothi, in response to your questions here and those that you posted on this blog you can create a dynamic top n report where the sort (asc or desc) and the group and the measure are parameterized. the end user would use the Parameter Panel as opposed to the pop-up parameter dialogue.

please have a look at the attached report where the Report > Group Sort Expert and parameters and a formula for the measure is used for this process. you need to unzip the contents and change the .txt extension of the file to .rpt.

this report is not documented so please do look at each component used in the report. this report allows the end user to change the group, the measure, the N based on that measure, and whether that N is Asc or Desc using a sort formula. again, please have a look through the report in detail to get an idea of what it does so you can apply this technique to your report.

like in the case of this particular attached report, you do not have to build the top n into the query as the Group Sort Expert takes care of this. however, when you do not do this, you are bringing back all values and then the groups are just hidden in the report.  however, if you've already got a view or proc that your report is based on, then this is an option for you that does not involve any changes to that view or proc.

as per Abhilash's suggestion to use webelements, there is a user guide available on that page that he provided the link for. it is free but requires more set up and a more advance report creation workflow and some set up on the boe side as per the user guide.

cheers,

jamie