cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text area in service order UI component not taking more than 255 characters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

We have a custom UI service order component that is built on ISUSERVICEORDER. We created a text area for LONG_TEXT which is saved into the service order notes in ECC.

We are unable to save more than 255 characters in the text area. LONG_TEXT field in CRM_ISU_SRV_ORDER_CREATE is of 300 characters.

Also I tried adding a new custom field to this structure for 1250 characters and created a text area  on the UI screen for this field. It still did not let me save more than 255 characters.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks!

Mathangi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link. I am familiar with this one as this question was asked by a friend of mine long time back. I do know that the standard field is of 300 characters. But the issue is even if I add a custom field of say 1000 characters to the append structure in CRM_ISU_SRV_ORDER_CREATE and create a text area for it in IC Web. It still takes in just 255 characters. Hope you understood my question!

-Mathangi

former_member541649
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mathangi,

We had a similar requirement long time ago for a project, we wanted the text area to save and display about 1000 characters but the string data type had a limit of 255 characters.

We overcame this by internally having 5 text fields: FLD_1, FLD_2, FLD_3, FLD_4, FLD_5.

We exposed FLD_1 as a text area. In the setter of FLD_1, we split the data and set it with the right length and offset in FLD_1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 respectively.

Then for display, we concatenated the data of FLD_1,2,3,4 and 5 into FLD_1 in the getter.

This worked for us, of course in the backend the text is split into different fields in the table, but the user experience is seamless.

Hope this helps you too!

Best Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Parul for your reply. The solution looks very promising. I also searched a few sites and found that we could add the maxlength attribute for text area in the THTMLB BSP extension. I added this attribute with default value '1000' but that didn't make any difference. Have you also explored the option of using BTTEXT for this particular case? 

former_member541649
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mathangi,

We did explore that route, but we were racing against time and it was a custom MKTPL object which had its own challenges. This was a sure shot way of achieving the requirement, in our case we didn't have to worry about translations or analytics, hence we decided to go with this approach.

You could explore BTTEXT as well, that's another way of achieving this.

Regards,

Parul

PS: Please reward if the answer was helpful/correct!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Parul! I have also opened up message with SAP. But I am going to use your solution for now. Rewarded! 🙂

dharmakasi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mathangi,

Can you try the below piece of code in your get_p method of your text attribute and check about the length.

CASE iv_property.

WHEN if_bsp_wd_model_setter_getter=>fp_fieldtype.

rv_value = cl_bsp_dlc_view_descriptor=>FIELD_TYPE_TEXTAREA.

ENDCASE.

Regards,

Dharmakasi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you! I have this piece of code in the GET_P_METHOD and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

navn_metts
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please go through this below link you will probably get your answer.

Raising text field character limit | SCN

Br,
Navn