Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation on IBM-i with Power HA / DR

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All

1. SAP installation /post tasks steps  SAP on IBM-i (OS/400 / DB2 - V7R1) with Power HA / DR (using IASP)?

2. SAP system mirgation / System copy from Standalone on IBM-i (OS/400 / DB2 - V67R1- ASP) to IBM-i (OS/400 / DB2 - V7R1) with Power HA / DR (using IASP) steps which we need to follow during the system copy?

3. Is it same steps what we are installation of SAP on Windows Failover cluster with MS Sql DB(Windows 2008 R2 & Ms Sql DB 2008)?

Could you share your experiences and knowledge?

Thanks & Regards

Sriram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

SAP Note 1635602 has a detailed setup guide for SAP with PowerHA on IBM i attached.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

Thanks for providing the right SAP Note. Is it possible to share the installation steps on IBM-i because I not that much aware on IBM-I HA /DR.

In our environment we have install the HA /DR in that they replicate the IASP volume (R3SIDDATA) to DR site, not on OS= OS400 on ASP. But the system guide shows in different. My questions are

1. Could you Pls explain in details about the SAP installation steps on ASP & IASP?
  2. We have to start the SAPinst or SWPM on DR site?
  3. We have to follow the same instalaltion steps in Windows 2008 Failover cluster?

Regards

Sriram

0 Kudos

Hi Siriam,

we need more information about how you want to setup your system:

1. Do you want to use PowerHA (which automates the switchover/failover from the primary to the backup side), or do you want to simply setup a system with independent ASP that is shared between two hosts and do the switchover or failover manually?
  2. Are you planning to store the IFS parts of the SAP system (kernel, work directories) onto the independent ASP, or do you want to maintain the two copies on each server separately?
  3. Are you installing a new system, or do you want to migrate an existing installation into an independen ASP?
  4. What SAP release (and kernel) do you want to use?

SAP Note 1635602 is still a good starting point to understand concepts and procedures of an HA configuration on IBM i.

If you want to migrate an existing system into an indepentent ASP, you can follow the instructions in SAP Note 568820.

I cannot comment on the question regarding the Windows 2008 Failover cluster.

You may want to ask a consultant familiar with IBM i for help. If you can answer the questions 1 to 4 above and don't find the necessary documentation in the SAP Notes that I mentioned, you can also open an incident at SAP for component BC-DB-DB4 and ask for support.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

Thanks for your information and support,

1. Yes, We are using power HA, We want to simply setup a system with independent ASP that is shared between two hosts (R3SIDDATA - Library SAN to SAN replication) and do the switchover or failover manually.
  2. Yes, All the SAP share folder are on IASP,                                                                                                                                                    ASP1 - OS - OS/400 , IASP 33 - R3SIDDATA - San replication to DR site
  3. We are going to migrate the existing SAP system on ASP to IASP on IBM-i.
  4. SAP ECC 6.0 SP 11 with DBM 6 SP2 (SAP Basis - 21),

OS= >IBM OS/400 with DB2  Kernel – 700 - 309

Regards

Sriram

0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

in your case, SAP Note 568820 should have all the information that you need. Is there any reason why you are using kernel release 7.00 (which is no longer supported) instead of going to a supported kernel (7.21 or 7.22)? You should consider upgrading the kernel before moving to an independent ASP.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

First i will do it in Test environment and then let us know the status.

Once again thanks for your valuable support

Regards

Srram

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian.

One more query about OS/400 Restore

How we can restore steps in DR site?(Primary site working fine) some how our DR site OS got crashed (We have backup), what are the steps which we can follow the restore data in DR system? if we can restore the OS parts it will be alright or any specific steps?

Kindly guide us I am new to OS /400.

Regards

SS

0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

it is hard to describe remotely how to restore a backup. There are too many "variables" to consider. How "crashed" is the OS? Did you "scratch" the system? Or did you keep the disk configuration and just perform a "slip" install of the operating system? Is the available backup a full system save, or does it consist of multiple pieces?

If your backup system needed to be scratched and you had a full system save available, the recovery steps would be:

1. Install Licensed Internal Code and recover disk configuration.
  2. Install the Operating System.
  3. When the system is up, end all subsystems.
  4. Restore all user profiles.
  5. Restore all configuration objects.
  6. Restore all libraries (this does not include the database library R3<sid>DATA, since it is on the iASP and does not need to be restored).
  7. Restore all IFS objects (again, only those on the system ASP, not the ones on the iASP).
  8. Restore authorities.

(see also Restoring and Recovering the Entire System Including the SAP System - SAP Database Guide: IBM DB2 fo...).

You may want to consider asking an experienced IBM i expert for some support.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

Thanks for your valuable Support. We have following the steps as your are mention.

Once again thanks

Regards

Sriram

Answers (0)