cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Dev Edition SPS09 backup issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're evaluating SAP Solution "SAP HANA, developer edition 1.0 SPS09" on SAP Cloud Appliance Library which is linked to our AWS.

When we try to take complete backup via studio, we faced an issue stating that 'Following services do not have the required status statisticserver on vhcalhdbdb (Status: )', which we never faced on SPS08 (created thru AMI on AWS) while accessing through the same studio.

Also, when compared with SPS08 and SPS09, we aren't seeing the host named vhcalhdbdb with port 30005 service named statisticsserver on SPS09 which is visible in SPS08.

Here's the attached inline screenshot of the errors we faced while doing so:

My query is,

1. Can't we take backup on SPS09 through the BACK UP SYSTEM option?

2. Can't we restore backup of SPS08 on SPS09? (in error screenshot I see source and target system must have same configuration especially no. of hosts which I observed statisticsserver is missing on SPS9)

Thank You,

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To simplify, with SAP HANA Dev edition SPS9 created using SAP Cloud Appliance Library, we're not able to create neither complete backup nor recover complete backup created on SPS8 into SPS9.

While trying to take complete backup, we faced issue related to statisticsserver which is still causing issue after trying all the inputs from responses.

In the backend we enabled the statisticsserver and found it running now, tried backup and the following error came:

Any other way to access SAP Notes without marketplace ID?

Thanks,

Karthik

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Karthik,

I believe Pavan replied to your previous question related to restoring an SPS8 backup to an SPS9 system. He is correct that it is not allowed as per system recovery restrictions so it won't work. As for accessing SAP Notes without marketplace ID, I don't think it is possible although I might be wrong so I'll leave it to others to answer that. Goodluck on finding a solution for this.

Regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

I believe you are going somewhere wrong. As I mentioned earlier, after migrating to SPS09 , you will not be able to find the Static server. Having said that, this also means that, after migrating, volume assigned to statics server will be removed.

--> In SPS09(where you have ESS) you will be having 3 volumes ( nameserver, Indexserver, XS engine ).

--> In SPS07 ( where you have native Static server) you will be having 4 volumes ( nameserver, indexserver, static server, xs engine).

--- > For static server the volume assigned is hdb00002 ( Volume 2) .Hence, you are facing that issue.

According to my understanding. I believe your upgrade has not been completed successfully or something went wrong. I would recommend you to do the following .

1. Change back the static server settings .

2. Upgrade your SPS09 to latest revision ( 97.01) .

3. perform the backup

See if you are still facing the issue and let me know.

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan,

This SPS09 is a fresh instance created thru SAP provided solution on SAP Cloud Appliance Library, not upgraded.

I shouldn't face an issue regarding statisticsserver in the first place since SPS9 onwards it's been merged, but for some reason it's causing an issue whenever I try to take complete backup. After enabling statisticsserver from backend, backup wizard started at least, throwing volume related issue.

As you were saying the volume isn't assigned to hdb00002, I faced that issue and it's understood.

Here's the screenshot of this SPS9 instance with all the active services before enabling statisticsserver:

HDB version installed is 1.00.091.00.1418659308.

Clarify one thing, Backup taken on SPS8 can be restored on SPS9 or not, because lower version to higher version recovery is basic functionality right.?

As you said from the restrictions for recovery, version used for the recovery(here, it's SPS9 created using SAP CAL) must always be the same or higher than the version used to create backup(here, it's SPS8 created using AMI on AWS Marketplace)?

0 Kudos

Hi

Is the statisticserver operational?

Do you use embedded statisticserver or stand alone ?

If you are using the embedded please check if it switched correctly using the following SQL

SELECT * FROM _SYS_STATISTICS.STATISTICS_PROPERTIES where key =

'internal.installation.state'

If the SQL returns that it done with error please review Note

2006652 - SAP HANA Statistics Server - Switch to Embedded Statistics
Service fails

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dermot Dunne,

I ran the SQL you suggested, it returned the following error:

Also, SAP Note you provided isn't accessible, could you re-send the URL please?.

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Karthik,

Here is the link you need:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2006652

Dermot looks correct as this note might be applicable to the issue you are having.

Regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

1. We can take the backup using BACKUP SYSTEM in SPS09.

2. Below are the restrictions for Recovery

Restrictions for Recovery

• A SAP HANA database cannot be recovered to a SAP HANA database with a lower software version. The SAP HANA database software version used for the recovery must always be the same version or higher than the SAP HANA database used to create the backup.
  • There can be any number of hosts in the target system, provided that the number and type of services is identical in both the source and the target system.

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

1. whenever I try to take backup using admin console, there's some issue with statisticsserver

here's the inline screenshot taken using both PUTTY & HANA Studio landscape using configuration & monitoring option.

Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi karthik,

Please check trace of statisticsserver & post.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Karthik,

This is expected. You will not be able to see static server in SPS09. This will come as ESS(embeded static server). In SPS09, your static server will combine with Index server and you will not be able to see the Statics service anymore.

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Yes, you correctly said that from SPS9 both index and statistics servers were combined.

But, the question is when I try to take a backup on SPS9, I'm still facing the error shown below no matter how many times I restarted the instance:

Regards,

Karthik

0 Kudos

Hi

It may be that the switch to the embedded statisticserver did not complete successfully

run the following SQL

SELECT * FROM _SYS_STATISTICS.STATISTICS_PROPERTIES where key =

'internal.installation.state'

If the SQL returns that it done with error please review Note

2006652 - SAP HANA Statistics Server - Switch to Embedded Statistics
Service fails