cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linus OS patching on BusinessObjects cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We have a BusinessObjects 4.1 service pack 2 cluster consisting of 2 nodes running on top of Redhat Linux 6.5. We need to start patching the Linux operating system on the 2 nodes. I read the administrator guide that we need to do backups before applying the OS patches. What is the best practice in applying the cluster?

Is it ok to patch the OS on one node first, reboot the first node and then do the other node? Or the OS patches have to be applied to both nodes at the same time and then reboot? Any specific start up and/or shutdown sequence/procedures?

I found a doc SBOP BI 4.x cluster patching Guide, but this document seems to pertain to BusinessObjects patches instead of OS. And I cannot find any doc that describes specifically on OS patches.

Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Thanks for all of your replies. Appreciate all your help.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How to backup BI4 system -- have binary level backup + CMS DB backup + FRS backup.

How to apply OS patches - make sure BOE is not running on both nodes, apply OS patches, start BOE.

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Freddie,

Linux security patches should not affect BI installation and working.

However, it would be recommended to test the same before patching production machine.

For backup/restore process, you can follow chapter 13 of Admin guide.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Onkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Freddie,

To start with, need to check the support platforms guide (a.k.a. PAM guide) for your BusinessObjects patch level to know whether the OS patch is supported for the given BO patch.

In a cluster it would be best to bring down all the BO services and CMS database.

Patch up the OS on each server.

Test Linux, make sure the OS itself is behaving correctly after patching.

Now start the DB and each node and test the applications.

This the safest way to upgrade - and thorough testing is recommended prior to rolling out to live.

Hope this helps.

-Sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Freddie,

Do you have a development server? Have you tried patching the development server?

For the Production, I would prefer patch the standby node first, then try to switch to it to test whether there's any issue or not, but don't forget to do OS backup first. If the test is OK, then you can continue to patch the other node.

Maybe you should look at the guidance from the Redhat to do this.

Regards,

Dhanar