cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects Client tools on VM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking for information to install Business Objects Client tools on VM.

Please note : CLIENT TOOLS.

server is already on VM server, but we have 10 developers who needs to start working on universe.

One option is to have a desktop machine for them, with enough memory to run UDT, IDT, WEBI rich client, CR, Dashboard Design..all at once.

But that will take time, and a bit expensive.

The other option I am exploring is to set up VM environment for all developers.

They can log on to the System, and do the work in VM environment.

I need correct documentation for that type of installation, maybe BO does not allow this..

Business Objects 4.1 SP 5

SQL server 2008

Please point me to the right direction. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can setup a terminal server or Citrix server, so all the 10 developers could able to login to server and should be able to access the BI tools simultaneously.

Client tools installation is straight forward either it is on server or client OS.

Work with infrastructure team to setup terminal or citrix.

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you point me to any document that would reference terminal or citrix installation.

I have to reference that to my request with server team.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your Infrastrcture team should be aware of citrix or terminal server setup. Google it, you will find lot of information about setting up the servers. This forum will not have info on those areas.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For terminal server : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc779334(v=WS.10).aspx

For Citrix : How to Set up a basic Citrix Server network - Installation - Discussions

or Citrix.com

There are no special instructions on how to install BO client tools in Citrix or Terminal server, they are installed as normal. Then simply follow Citrix or Terminal server process on application sharing.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't understand why you simply don't allow your developers to install these Client tools on their local machines (laptops)  . Are you trying to avoid having provisioning extra Named Users on your license?

I launched all those applications you mentioned on my laptop, all in parallel (again, unlikely scenario).  those 5 initialized 32bit applications consumed not more that 1.2 Gb of RAM from my localhost.

Of course, if being used intensively, this consumption could spike. but I don't see this being a challenge for a 64 bit OS.

regards.

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henry, i myself had a hard time running those apps on my machine concurrently.

i forgot to mention Lumira, that alone needs more than 1gb memory to run.

i am exploring this route to minimize development time.

as to avoid

1- request for laptop machine takes long.

2- sync all developers on 1 BO version

3- troubleshoot BO related issue.

Any document that could reference that, would be good enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Danish,

I tried to find some BO Client tools recommendations as well for you. But, I found nothing so far.

I remember a recommendation from the SAP SE, where it is not recommended to install Client Tools to the BO server. Now, I am not able to find this note.

However, I agree with Henry and Dennis. It is not a big deal to run Client tools on workstations with one limitation and it is when workstations are so far from server. Then it is better to install them to the WTS.