Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogenous system Copy ERP 6.0

albert_vivesleal
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi :

I need to virtualize my SAP ERP environment.

I want to perform an heterogeous system copy from HP-UX / Oracle to Oracle in another operating system.

I have doubts to migrate to Windows or Linux.

I have another SAP Systems installed on Windows 2008 Server and we have no significant problems .

Now the question is , for the ERP over HPUX is better to migrate to a Linux distribution  (in order to keep the SAP / Oracle directories structure ) ?

Is there anyone that performed this migration before ?

Thanks for the replies !

Albert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Albert

the ERP over HPUX is better to migrate to a Linux distribution  (in order to keep the SAP / Oracle directories structure ) ? the answer is no. You should choose your target operating system based on several considerations and I would not include the directories stuff

Is there anyone that performed this migration before ? the answer is plenty! It's always sad to see a migration from unix to windows but i must admit that i'm working in a big environment with win2012 and there are no major issues linked to the op sys to highlight you

I hope this helps

cheers

a

albert_vivesleal
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ciao Andrea :

One important thing when I consider this migration is our integration with diffferent systems.

I have a lot of UNIX scripts, RFCs that I must to rewrite / translate.

I also have APO , BI , SOLMAN and PI over Windows 2008 and there are not more problems than an  HPUX environtment.

Maybe I will miss the vi editor.

Thanks for reply me.

Albert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ciao Abert

I see completely your point.

If you are the real decision maker, just go for Linux and both your users and you will be happy

If you are not in a position to decide but you want to support the decision with a fair compare, why don't you subscribe to Gartner? I'm sure they have done a lot of research in this field

Let me know how it goes

cheers

a

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Albert,

I am in total agreement with Andrea, you need to consider lot of factors like integration to non SAP system, stability, OS and DB compatibility, Endian byte order etc.

Personally I would be more comfortable Going from any type of Unix environment like HP-UX or AIX to Linux rather than Windows. Both have Big endian byte order and administration is easier.

Windows have its own advantages as the troubleshooting is easier.

Choose wisely

AC