cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Error in pre-processing phase MAIN_SHDRUN/ACT_UPG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are facing issues in Upgrade - Pre processing Phase for step MAIN_SHDRUN/ACT_UPG.

=========================================

The process stops with errors:

Checks after phase MAIN_SHDRUN/ACT_UPG were negative!

Last error code set: Detected 1671 aborted activities in 'ACTUPG.ELG'

Calling '/upgrade/SUM/SUM/abap/exe/tp' failed with return code 12,

check

/upgrade/SUM/SUM/abap/log/SAPup.ECO for details

tp used shadow connect

The SM37 Job: RDDMASGL is getting cancelled after few minutes with dump message: Internal session terminated with runtime error

SYSTEM_NO_TASK_STORAGE

or Internal session terminated with runtime error EXSORT_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY

I already tried by setting the profile parameters as per sap note:1387739

abap/heap_area_total = 10000000000

abap/heap_area_nondia = 10000000000

ztta/roll_area = 20000000

and have also stopped and started the shadow instance. Still I face

thesame dumps…

I have attached the ST22 dump logs and related files of SUM for

analysis.

Please help us solve the issue.

Regards,

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Your OS and DB Platform??

RAM & Swap Size??

Also, have you tried to update the Shadow Kernel Upto most recent patch level?

Also double check  those 3 profile parameters mentioned above that should be added to the instance profile of Shadow system.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Operating System HPUX11.31

Database ORACLE 11.2.0.4

RAM is 16GB,SWAP Size is 40GB.

I have updated my shadow instance Kernel 742 release to 200 and also updated the tp to level 211 of SAP KERNEL 7.42 64BIT UNICODESAP KERNEL 7.42 64BIT UNICODE.

The parameters added are OK.Please guide further.

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stop and start the shadow instance manually & check the memory/CPU utilization while both the instance are running(main & shadow instance).Also check the below KBA:

172747 SAP on HPUX:OS kernel parameter recommendations

BR,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Almost all memory is in use and total is close to 100%: ============================================================== [1.3] SYSTEM PAGING SPACE (swapinfo -tm)                       Mb          Mb          Mb  PCT    START/          Mb       TYPE          AVAIL        USED        FREE  USED      LIMIT    RESERVE  PRI  NAME       dev          16384        4343        12041  27%          0          -    1  /dev/vg00/lvol2       reserve          -      12041      -12041       memory        7786        7469          317  96%       total        24170      23853          317  99%      -          0    - =============================================================== Please find the attached memlimits -v output: [1]memlimits -v off SAP R/3 address space configuration test tool V3.2 (98/01/14) ========================================================================= Verbose mode off Check the maximum data size per process (malloc) Check the available swap space (malloc in several processes) Process 22702 allocating Check the available swap space (malloc in several processes)           ... Size =  476MB  Total:  476MB Check the maximum size of mapped file (mmap anonymous,dev/zero) Check protection operations on this area (protect) Maximum mapped file size: 472MB Maximum mprotect size:    472MB Check the maximum address space per process usable both by process local memory and mapped file Maximum address space ( mmap(472 MB)+ malloc(4MB) 😞 476MB +-------------------------------------------------------+ |                        Result                        | +-------------------------------------------------------+ Maximum heap size per process........:  476 MB     this value is probably limited by swap space Maximum mapped file size (mmap)......:  472 MB     this value is probably limited by swap space Maximum protectable size (mprotect)..:  472 MB     em/initial_size_MB > 472 MB will not work Maximum address space per process....:  476 MB     this value is probably limited by swap space Total available swap space...........:  476 MB     *** ERROR =>  swap space too small, expect problems     main memory size x 3 recommended , minimum 1 GB Please help to solve the same. Regards, Santosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per the logs sent ,Your Swap Memory is not enough to run the both instance simultaneously.

As a work around, Have you tried to stop the main instance and then run only the shadow instance?

Also ask your OS team to increase the page size.In the log its clear that Page size should be main memory x 3. Know me what are the results.

BR,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have stopped the main R3 instance, Now only the shadow instance is Up and running.

I have started the upgrade from the point it stopped, I see its running quite fine now, and It has gone by far the time it usually gives the memory dump. I am constantly monitoring the space and memory and till now I don't see much utilization.

Regards,

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great!!!

For a fair solution,you should now increase your swap size.

BR,

Rahul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

As per the thread:

1. Space is enough