Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defect class during Result recording

wernervm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi;

I need help with regards to Defect class recording during result processing (QE01).

My scenario:

When an “out of spec” result is recorded, a Defect class of “02” defaults (after valuating and closing inspec charac) and a Notification is generated.

It then becomes necessary to update the Defect class using 2 options:

1. 1) QF02: Double click on item and change Defect class to “03” OR
  2. 2) QE01: Activate menu “Settings / Defect class on”. Then select the Inspec charac (which has status “5” - Processing is completed) and “Put in process” and then “Valuate” it. A pop-up window will appear and Defect class can be changed to "03".

I’ve noted the following:

When using option 2, the Defect class is updated to “03” in results screen (QE01) as well as QF02, but a new notification is created. The original notification will be closed (NOCO) automatically.

When using option 1, the Defect class on results screen (QE01) does not update to “03” and keeps the original Defect class. However, Notification will be updated.

Does anyone know of a setting or note that will ensure changes to Defect class using QF02 will also update to QE01?

Kind regards

W

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have to look at a system but I think the difference is that in 1, you are adding a defect at the lot level.  In option 2 you are opening the MIC and putting the defect in at the characteristic level.

I think then, that if you're defect at the MIC level is classed as a minor defect, there is no overall affect on the Valuation on of the lot.

I'm doing this off the top of my head but I believe it's something along those lines.  I'll have to look at it later when I get a chance.

Craig

wernervm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

Thanks for your reply.

When I navigate to QF01 (via QA32), a pop-up appears asking for the assignment level:

1. Inspection lot
  2. Operation
  3. Characteristic

1 and 2 does not contain any data. Only 3 (Characteristic) contains the same Defect class (02 – Major defect) as what was entered during results recording using QA32.

Therefore, when I change it from “02” to “03” in QA32 (using menu “Settings / Defect class on”), I would expect it to update in QF01 as well…., but it’s not doing that. The relevant Notification that was created does however reflect the change from “02” to “03”…..

Can you maybe elaborate on your previous explanation?

Best regards

W

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.. I looked into a bit finally.

Check your notifications setting.

QM-->Quality Notifications-->Defects Recording-->Define Notification Type-->Define Notification Type for Inspection Type

Under the notifcation type you should find a notification shown in the middle of the screen.  Next to that is box for "One Q-notification per insp. lot". Look to see if this is on for the inspection types you are doing automatic defects recording for.

I believe, since you are putting the characteristic in process you are basically erasing the original values and recording new ones.  Hence, this is why you get a new notification.

Now.. I also think what is happening is you think the defect class shown on the results screen is the same defect class shown in QF01/02.  They are two different values and fields and have two different meanings!!!

The best way for you to see this is to go in and record a second defect against the same characteristic.  When you click on the red defects flag you'll see both defects listed, and each can have their own defect class.  These typically come from a catalog code when  you select the defect type from the catalogs.

When you look at the characteristic defect class, this typically comes from the defect class of the valuation of the characteristic.  (i.e. defaulted in from the catalog code or the config settings for inspec or out-of-spec).

In QF01/02 you are seeing the defect class of the individual defects recorded for the characteristic.  NOT the defect class of the characteristic.  Think of a quantitative value like a mesh screenig test and I measure the quantity of material that passes through a standard mesh screen.  (soil, ore, powdered chemicals).  Usually a percentage.  97% passes through.  But I might also want to record defects, like "wet", "clumpy", "bolt found on screen".  I might have a 99.8% pass through rate which migh pass, but if I found a bolt on the screen, that would be a critical defect if I was making a pharmaceutical grade powder.  So the screen test passes, (no defect class and my valuation of the characteristic would be pass).  The defect I recorded of a bolt, would be recorded as a critical defect.  A defect notification would be created which would give me a notification to process and close before I make a UD.  But characteristic test result is still a "PASS" cause the powder material passed thru the screen as expected.

Also, the overall defect class of the characterstic can affect how the UD behaves.  The individual defects not necessarly.  I can record 3 or 4 different defects against a characteristic, maybe all minor ones.  None by themselves would trigger a failure or a notification.  When I valuate the characteristic, can change the defect classs to Major which causes a notifcation to get created requiring it be looked into, as well as flagging it in the UD.  I could choose to keep the defect class the same as the 3 minor defects records.  The valuation would be PASS and no notification is created and no warnings in the UD.

When you go in QF01, you are manually choosing to update a specific defect that is recorded under the characteristic.  You probably only ever have one defect recorded in most cases.  But it is still a sub-defect (for lack of a better word), of the characteristic.  If you change it in QF01/02 it is changed in the inspection lot but you have to drill down (using the red defects flag), to see the change on the actual defect.  That's why I suggest you manually create a second defect for the characteristic and see how the system behaves.

The defect on the characteristic valuation is not changed unless you unlock it and revaluate the characteristic can change it there directly.

Craig

wernervm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

Thanks for detailed explanation – much appreciated!

Just need clarification on one thing, please:

Defect classes can only be assigned to Catalog type “9” (Defect types) – Tcode QS43.

These catalogs are then assigned to inspection characteristics which will in turn be assigned to inspection plan.

What did you mean by “….i.e. defaulted in from the catalog code or the config settings for inspec or out-of-spec

I’m only aware of config setting where Defect classes are defined.

Best regards

W

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For qualitative characteristics using selected sets you assign defect class to each "R" code in the selected set.  Catalog type 1.

For quantitative characteristics you assign a defect class in the master inspection charateristic under the catalog section as well.  The catalog AND specific code is entered at the bottom of the screen and is what is used when a value is OOS.  If you don't assign a catalog here, it takes it from the QM plant configuration settings, (insp. lot creation tab).

The code assigned under catalog 9 in the upper section, in the MIC is what is used when you record defects.

Craig

Answers (0)