Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data from SAP BW using data services - Best approach

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to read data from SAP BW tables and would like to know the best approaches:

1. Call the tables created using Open Hub Destination from data services.

2. Call the InfoProvider - Infocubes/DSO directly from Data services.

Out of the above, which is the best approach in terms of Performance perspective. Or is there any other options to read the BW table data from data services?

Thanks

Bala

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

I would go with the second option if performance is considered.

Reason for not chosing first option:

The handshake from BW to DataServices is sequential. BW first writes all the data into the OpenHub Destination table, then DataServices reads from it. But while it is reading it is streaming the data into the target.

The flow would be

DSO>PSA>Openhub>DS Target table

So this would take time and performance would not be good

Best option would be to directly call DSO/InfoProvider through data services using SAP BW Application datastore of Datastore type SAP BW Source.

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree.

Note that this is in contradiction with SAP's official recommendation: "The preferred method is to use the SAP Open Hub Destination service to read from a BW InfoProvider" (section 5.1 Using Data Services in SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse environments in SAP Data Services Supplement for SAP), but I definitely second your opinion. Espescially if you're running one of the more recent DS versions that come with quite some important performance improvement features, direct reading from an InfoProvider will largely outperform the OpenHub interface.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

How would you connect to DSO? Through RFC connection? What are the settings in the advanced settings apart from the client and system? Also does DS help in connecting directly to DSO in HANA DB?

Thanks,
Arun

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Yes, you can connect to the DSO in BW by setting up a RFC connection and starting in DS Management console. The SAP Basis team should create a RFC connection with the same Program ID created in DS Management console such that there is a proper handshake between DS and SAP BW.

As such under DataStore setting but you can set the ABAP Execution to Execute_Preloaded in QA and PROD. For Dev it can be kept as Generate_and_execute.

Not sure about the connectivity with SAP HANA and DSO. As HANA is a database it should be supported I guess

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arun. In that case the process of RFC connection is same for OHD and DSO. I am trying to find out what is the difference between the two connections because you essentially use same method to pull a DSO and OHD correct?

Unfortunately i cannot give points for your answer because this is some body else question.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Yes the method to import DSO and OHD tables in BODS are exactly the same.

Open Hub Destination (OHD) is a table with a structure which acts as the interface between SAP BW and DataServices.

Once we create a Open Hub Destination we need to tell where the data should come from. So lets say we make the source as an InfoCube. Now once this is done we need to activate the OHD.and then create a DTP Process to load it. If any changes are made to the Open Hub Destination Table, or related Process Chains, DTPs, or RFC Destination, the Open Hub Destination Table should be reimported to gather the new meta data. This is an overhead for BODS developer and may cause data issues

So to make life simpler we can use DSO

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got it thanks much Arun.

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun, Dirk

Thanks for the suggestions.

As mentioned by Dirk, I also read the recommended approach is OHD and hence the doubt.

I can read the data through DSO and also realize OHD can also act as a source to BODS.

My BODS version is: 14.0.3
Should it be good with DSO or is there any latest verion that I should go to gain better performance.

Thanks

Bala

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

As I explained in this post Open Hub Destination (OHD) is a table with a structure which acts as the interface between SAP BW and DataServices.

So DSO would be a good option to go with. I would recommend you to upgrade to 4.2.

As far as performance is considered, I found a link which will be helpful for you

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b6/de1c42128a5733e10000000a155106/content.htm

Open Hub Destination - Business Intelligence - SAP Library

Hope this helps!!

Regards

Arun Sasi

Answers (0)