cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Millennial blogs on SCN "more equal"?

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not complaining, just asking. Although I think I've reached the tipping point and am ready to go Sideways on this:

Jack: If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot.

Miles Raymond: No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f***g Merlot!

Yet another Millennial blog gets not only posted but even featured on the SCN home page. Not that it's a bad blog per se, but we already had this one, then this one, then this one too. Mind you, these are only from the first page of Google search for 'Millennials site:scn.sap.com' and also the ones who refer to the same SAP-sponsored survey. There are tons of others out there with very few exceptions that are at least original (this is a recent positive example).

According to ROE, everyone is supposed to search before posting, so my question is - why are such blogs apparently exempt from such rule? If someone posted the same content over and over in ABAP space they would be "guestified". But do the same on the subject of Millennials and it gets featured. What kind of message does this send to the community?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What if the elders out here (myself included) took NOMBs, copied, and edited to reflect our old-timey needs and values?

New Business Trend?  You're not getting older, you're just less visible...

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Susan Keohan wrote:

What if the elders out here (myself included) took NOMBs, copied, and edited to reflect our old-timey needs and values?

I have a perfect title already - "Millennials, get off our lawn!".

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello All!

Thank you for sharing you concerns and feedback. I will look into to it, contact relatedpeople and make needed steps. I will of course update you!

Regards,

Moshe

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sure equality will be restored, once Jive bites the dust and everything is "lost in migration" 😉

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It will be interesting to see what happens to some of this stuff when the switch happens. I'm optimistic

Steve.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena

My status update from last week seems to mirror your thoughts. I've called it NOMB - not another millenial blog. I am one of those dreadful Gen Ys our there who demands everything and gives nothing in return

Eventually they'll move on to the next generation. Getting quite over the obvious conclusions these articles all draw. Ofcourse "we're just like everyone else" when most of us are in our 30s now and having kids, mortgages, etc so wanting job stability but fear job loss

The only way to reduce the noise if we all start blogging in that space with other topics. But begs the questions what really constitutes "business trends"?

Regards

Colleen

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I actually wrote a half-serious / half-rant blog in Business Trends last year. In terms of the space itself you can talk about any business related topic.  I personally think we need some more topics on how businesses need to be authentic with their social communities, or anything else related.   It would also be interesting to see how businesses should adapt their social communities to the challenger sale concept.  Even a blog on why pounding the same theme will make your customers not listen would be great.  I think those are things that we could blog to express our point.

Anyone interested in doing this, let's get started.

Take care,

Stephen

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If people write "good" blogs in that space, they will quickly show up the quality of the majority of the content. I've only done it once, but it got more likes than about a month's worth of the regular content - . It seems like a space where anything goes, so I say just go for it! I have a blog on work-life balance floating about in my head that I might well post there...

Steve.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

what community crowd-source a trend and then write about it?

custodio_deoliveira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Colleen Lee wrote:

The only way to reduce the noise if we all start blogging in that space with other topics. But begs the questions what really constitutes "business trends"?

Regards

Colleen

I never go to that space. NEVER.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I end up in that space as a result of following people or it's published as a link somewhere. I rarely seek it out

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even the latest Economist is jumping on the bandwagon: http://www.economist.com/news/business/21660110-businesses-should-beware-dubious-generalisations-abo...

They examine the evidence and conclude that.. you guessed it.

Millennials are the same as you and me.

This becoming something of an internet meme.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You make it sounds like 'millennials blog' is the zombie games of the videogames industries. Sorry, I kid . Never notice it was a thing until you pointed it out. Speed read through your links, indeed, every blog is basically saying "millennials is the same crap as everyone else".

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Because it's part of an organized "marketing campaign" from SAP which is why it gets a pass.  Honestly sometimes we need a sign for the Business Trends space for developers that reads:

"Abandon all ye hope those who enter here".

Then again it's definitely not your mother's SCN when people who get jealous over other member's pick on them via their avatar complaints and the focus is on the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law when it comes to rules of engagement.

I'm sure however a new platform will solve all our woes .

Take care,

Stephen

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've already been ignoring it for a while, but when it gets featured "in your face" it's hard not to blow a gasket.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In response to this, Ram on Twitter replied with "Millennial Rising"   That gave me a smile.

Separately, many of the blogs in Business Trends are written by SAP's journalism team - so they are professional writers, whereas most of us (I mean myself here) don't have that type of professional training.  As a result, their blogs are likely to be more well-written than most, resulting in being featured more - this is my guess only here.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I sure hope a secret emergency meeting is being called somewhere as we speak to review the criteria for featuring the content. Personally I'd rather see the other blog I've mentioned featured (and it actually has a better rating). If they are indeed rising, why not let Millennials speak for themselves? Oh wait, the author didn't mention the SAP-sponsored survey or the keyword "simple".  Darn kids, can't do anything right!